Skip to main content

Fried chicken and waffles


Trying to bust out of a cooking slump, I pulled this recipe from my to-try file on Sunday.   Unfortunately, I was outvoted by the guys pizza craving, and it got pushed to last night.    With the chaos of a weeknight going on around me, I'm not sure I gave it justice.   My kitchen was a disaster when I was finished, but I had a smiling happy family, and that's what really matters to me.

First I got the chicken soaking.   Critical error- I'd forgotten to buy buttermilk.   No problem, I'll just use regular milk and some vinegar.    Uh, no white vinegar, only apple cider vinegar.   In it went.      I used Sriracha for the hot sauce component.

While the chicken did it's thing, I made the waffle batter.   Bacon in waffles around here has been vetoed in the past, so I cooked it up to serve on the side.   I used dried chives instead of green onions, it's what I had on hand.    Someone had eaten the last of the cheddar, so I used a fiesta cheese blend.     Batter ready.

After 30 mins, I breaded the chicken as directed.    While it was setting the coating, I started the waffles.   I've only got a Belgian iron, so I knew we wouldn't be making sandwiches, just setting the chicken on top.    As they came out of the iron, I put them into a warm oven.

Heated the oil and got started frying chicken while simultaneously cooking waffles and fielding questions about book reports, where are my black socks? and is tomorrow a hot lunch day?     The chicken was golden brown, crunchy and cooked perfectly.

Wait, the sauce!   I grabbed the mustards and the real NH maple syrup and threw that together at the last minute.   I ended up being the only one that used it, my guys went the straight maple syrup route.     

I wanted not to like this.   It was a lot of work, a lot of dishes, and I don't fry very often.    It was excellent, dammit.    This will definitely get made again in the future, but not on a weeknight.    I may even make up the waffles ahead and store them in the freezer until we get a craving.     Huge thanks to Jonathan at The Candid Appetite for sharing this recipe and lots of photographs!


Fried Chicken and Waffles

Fried Chicken and Waffles

Author:

Ingredients:

For the "Buttermilk" Chive Waffles
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/4c light brown sugar, packed
  • 1t baking soda
  • 1 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/2t salt
  • 2t fresh cracked black pepper
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted & cooled
  • 2 cups milk with 2t apple cider vinegar
  • 1 heaping cup Mexican blend cheese
  • 1teaspoon dried chives plus more for garnish
  • 5 slices cooked bacon (served on top)
For the Fried Chicken
  • Thin Sliced chicken breasts, about 6 or 7
  • 1 1/2 milk with 1 1/2t apple cider vinegar added
  • 1t hot sauce (I used Sriracha)
  • 1 1/2c flour
  • 1t salt
  • 1t cayenne
  • 1t garlic powder
  • 1t fresh cracked black pepper
  • Vegetable oil for frying
For the Maple Mustard Sauce
  • Real NH maple syrup
  • Dijon mustard
  • yellow mustard

Instructions:

Make the waffles:
  1. Preheat waffle iron. Spray with nonstick spray.
  2. Place dry ingredients in a bowl, whisk together and make a well in the center. In a small bowl, beat 3 eggs. Add to well, along with melted butter and "buttermilk". Stir just until combined. Add cheese and chives, stir to combine.
  3. Cook waffles according to your iron's instructions. I love my Presto Flipside, it makes Belgian waffles in about 4 mins, and I got 6 from this recipe. Keep waffles warm in a preheated oven until the chicken is ready.
Make the chicken:
  1. Combine "buttermilk" and hot sauce in a large ziptop bag and add chicken. Place in fridge at least 30 mins.
  2. Set up a rack on top of a half sheet pan. Combine the dry ingredients. Double dredge the chicken- from buttermilk to flour, back to buttermilk and into the flour again. Place the chicken onto the prepared rack. Let rest for about 10 mins to set the coating.
  3. Heat 2" oil in a large skillet or heavy pan to 350º to 375º. Fry the chicken a few pieces at a time, and place on a paper towel lined plate to cool. (I moved my chicken in with the waffles to keep it warm).
Make the Maple Mustard Sauce:
  1. Whisk together ingredients to taste.
Source- http://www.thecandidappetite.com/fried-chicken-and-waffle-sandwiches/

Recommended Products:

chicken, waffles, fried, maple
Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast
American
Created using The Recipes Generator




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites

I'm a huge fan of the Dunkin Donuts Power Breakfast sandwich, so when I started seeing ads for the new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites I stopped in and gave them a try.  They were delicious, but of course, I knew I could make them at home.  I started with the whites of six eggs. You can use pasturized whites if you don't want to do the whole separating, finding a use for the yolks thing.  I beat them up with some salt and pepper. Next up, the tomato and spinach.  I used grape tomatoes, seeded them and then chopped them into 1/4" pieces. I like baby spinach, and I took about 10 leaves and chopped those up into 1/4" pieces as well. I added that to the egg mixture.  When you pour it into the pans, be sure that it all gets evenly distributed.   They bake up pretty quickly, around 9 minutes or so.  Dunkin gives you two egg bites, the mini donut serving size is three. I pop them in ziplocs in the fridge and just pull a bag and reheat them in the microwave for a quick

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon and Cheddar Omelet Bites

Since I already came up with a version of Dunkin Donuts new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites for myself, I decided to make the other variety that they are offering, Bacon & Cheddar, for my husband. Super simple.  Beat up some eggs with salt and pepper.  Add in some shredded cheddar and a slice of bacon cut into 1/4" pieces (I used kitchen shears).  Bake them for about 9 minutes in sprayed mini donut pans. They baked up light and fluffy.  The bacon stayed crisp and there's just the perfect amount of cheese.   I split them up into portions in zip top bags and that way we can just grab a bag and warm them up. My husband laughed when I told him 3 is the serving size.  I'll definitely be doubling the recipe next time! Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon & Cheddar Omelette Bites Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 4 large eggs 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 3T shredded cheddar cheese 1 slice cooked bacon, cut in 1/4" piec

Strawberry Pizzelles

Pizzelles are one of my favorite childhood cookies and I'm constantly looking for ways to put a new spin on them.  Since one of my favorite summer fruits is strawberries, I swapped out the vanilla in the original recipe with strawberry extract.  This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SummerDessertWeek !  I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of my recipes. All opinions are my own. I also added some red food coloring to give it a pink hue, but you can skip that if you like.  I use a cookie scoop to portion out the batter, it keeps all the pizzelles the same size, plus it's quicker than using two spoons.   They're delicious as is but you can take them over the top by fashioning them into a cylinder which we like to call fauxnoli.  You can pipe them full of whipped cream or buttercream.  If you want to prepare everything in advance, store the pizzelle in an airtight container, and the filling in a pastry or zip top bag in the f