Skip to main content

Crispy Chicken Caesar Club Sandwich

We've mostly given up on the fast food places in our area, they are too inconsistent and the prices have risen way too high for what you are getting.   My favorite, hands down, is the Wendy's Spicy Chicken sandwich.     I've had this recipe for a while, but never seemed to have all of the ingredients on hand.     I almost made them Wednesday, but I was missing a sub I needed for the sauce and the veggies.  Luckily the guys pizza craving pushed them to Thursday, giving me the opportunity to go to the store and get the things I needed.

I buy thinly sliced chicken breasts, this package had about 5.   I got them working in the buttermilk mixture and then moved on to the sauce.    We do not eat mayo, so I subbed greek yogurt.   I spread the buns with butter and gave them a quick trip under the broiler until they were golden brown.    I only did 2 rolls, Jake NEVER eats anything on them, but once he saw our sandwiches he asked for one too.  

This was a huge hit, we all thought it was WAY better than any fast food we've ever had.   Next time I would save my cutlet for last and add more cayenne to the coating, or maybe add more hot sauce to my serving of the sauce.   I like things spicy!

Thank you so much to Ingrid at The Cozy Apron for this recipe.   Be sure to go check out the fries she served with hers on the blog, they looked outstanding!


                     
* Exported from MasterCook *

Crispy Chicken Caesar Club with Melted Parmesan and Mozzarella Cheese


  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
 5 thin sliced chicken breasts
  1                cup  buttermilk -- plus 1 tablespoon, divided use
                        Frank's Red Hot
                        Salt
  2             cloves  garlic -- pressed through garlic press (used minced jarred)
  1 1/2           cups  flour
  1           teaspoon  black pepper
  1           teaspoon  granulated garlic
  1           teaspoon  granulated onion
     1/2      teaspoon  paprika
     1/2      teaspoon  Italian seasoning
     1/8      teaspoon  cayenne pepper (to taste)
                        Vegetable Oil for frying
     1/4           cup  grated or shredded parmesan cheese
  4             slices  mozzarella cheese (used part skim shredded)
  4                     buns -- toasted (used kaiser rolls, buttered and put under broiler)
                        Creamy Garlic-Parmesan Sauce (recipe below)
Romaine leaves -- for topping
                        Tomato slices -- for topping
  4             strips  crispy bacon -- cut in half, for topping
               
In a bowl or ziptop bag, combine buttermilk, hot sauce, 1t salt, and garlic.   Add chicken, and let marinate for 20 mins to 24 hours.

For the flour coating
Combine flour, pepper, granulated garlic & onion, paprika, Italian Herb mix, cayenne and 1 1/2t salt in a shallow pan.  Add about 1T of buttermilk and use a fork to mix it in, leaving some chunky bits.    

Heat about 4 to 6 cups of oil to 350º.    While the oil is heating, remove each chicken breast from the buttermilk, let the excess run off and then put it into the flour mixture.   Coat both sides.   Remove to a wire rack on a baking sheet.   Continue until all the pieces are coated.    For extra crispy coating, do a second run through the buttermilk and into the flour mixture.

Fry chicken for 5 to 6 mins, turning to make sure both sides are golden brown and the chicken is cooked through.   Remove to paper towel lined platter, sprinkling both sides with kosher salt. 



Lay cooked chicken on a baking sheet (foil lining it makes for easier clean up).   Add cheeses to top, parmesan first, then mozzarella.   Broil until the cheese melts.


For the sandwich
Spread Creamy Garlic Parmesan Sauce onto both halves of the buns.   Layer chicken, lettuce, tomato and bacon as desired. 


Creamy Garlic Parmesan Sauce

 1 cup light sour cream
1/4c plain greek yogurt
 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
 2 garlic cloves (used minced jarred)
 Zest of 1 lemon
2 teaspoons of lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt, plus an extra pinch, if needed

Add all ingredients to a food processor.  Pulse until smooth, well combined and creamy.     Refrigerate leftovers in a closed container.


Source:
  "http://thecozyapron.com/spicy-crispy-chicken-caesar-club-for-when-i-want-my-fast-food-slowed-down-a-bit/"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites

I'm a huge fan of the Dunkin Donuts Power Breakfast sandwich, so when I started seeing ads for the new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites I stopped in and gave them a try.  They were delicious, but of course, I knew I could make them at home.  I started with the whites of six eggs. You can use pasturized whites if you don't want to do the whole separating, finding a use for the yolks thing.  I beat them up with some salt and pepper. Next up, the tomato and spinach.  I used grape tomatoes, seeded them and then chopped them into 1/4" pieces. I like baby spinach, and I took about 10 leaves and chopped those up into 1/4" pieces as well. I added that to the egg mixture.  When you pour it into the pans, be sure that it all gets evenly distributed.   They bake up pretty quickly, around 9 minutes or so.  Dunkin gives you two egg bites, the mini donut serving size is three. I pop them in ziplocs in the fridge and just pull a bag and reheat them in the microwave for a quick

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon and Cheddar Omelet Bites

Since I already came up with a version of Dunkin Donuts new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites for myself, I decided to make the other variety that they are offering, Bacon & Cheddar, for my husband. Super simple.  Beat up some eggs with salt and pepper.  Add in some shredded cheddar and a slice of bacon cut into 1/4" pieces (I used kitchen shears).  Bake them for about 9 minutes in sprayed mini donut pans. They baked up light and fluffy.  The bacon stayed crisp and there's just the perfect amount of cheese.   I split them up into portions in zip top bags and that way we can just grab a bag and warm them up. My husband laughed when I told him 3 is the serving size.  I'll definitely be doubling the recipe next time! Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon & Cheddar Omelette Bites Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 4 large eggs 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 3T shredded cheddar cheese 1 slice cooked bacon, cut in 1/4" piec

Strawberry Pizzelles

Pizzelles are one of my favorite childhood cookies and I'm constantly looking for ways to put a new spin on them.  Since one of my favorite summer fruits is strawberries, I swapped out the vanilla in the original recipe with strawberry extract.  This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SummerDessertWeek !  I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of my recipes. All opinions are my own. I also added some red food coloring to give it a pink hue, but you can skip that if you like.  I use a cookie scoop to portion out the batter, it keeps all the pizzelles the same size, plus it's quicker than using two spoons.   They're delicious as is but you can take them over the top by fashioning them into a cylinder which we like to call fauxnoli.  You can pipe them full of whipped cream or buttercream.  If you want to prepare everything in advance, store the pizzelle in an airtight container, and the filling in a pastry or zip top bag in the f