Skip to main content

Chicken Simon & Garfunkel


Another winning chicken dish recommended by Carol!   She recently made and reviewed this and her pictures reeled me in  :)    Since winter decided to come back yesterday, it was a great time to give it a try.  

I don't know what is going on with chickens these days, but I had 5 chicken breasts and the package weight was 5 1/2lbs.   I trimmed a bit, but pounding and rolling was going to be impossible.   I cut a slit in each, being careful not to butterfly or poke through the bottom.      I'm not a cheese measurer, each one was a little different, but I'd say maybe 1/4c of cheese in each.

Carol took the time to toast her Panko, I'm lazy and didn't.    I also did the herb butter in the microwave.   No poultry seasoning on hand, so I grabbed the components of it and gave each a little shake into the flour mixture.

Since my guys like crispy baked chicken.  I didn't baste.   When the wine was called for, I poured it in the base of the pan instead of over the top.   

We loved this one.   It held great for Tim who ate later.   Huge thanks to Carol for bringing this one to my attention!





Chicken Simon and Garfunkel

6-8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 1/2 sticks butter, divided
1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning (didn't have- used thyme, sage, marjoram, rosemary, nutmeg)
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
6-8 slices mozzarella cheese (used part skim shredded- didn't measure)
2 large egg, beaten with 2 Tbsp. water
1 1/2 c. Panko bread crumbs
2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley (used dried)
1/4 tsp. dried sage
1/4 tsp. dried rosemary
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 c. white wine- used Barefoot Moscato
Chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)-- used dried

Line a shallow baking sheet with sides with foil. Spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.  Set aside.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees.

Place 1 stick butter in a glass measuring cup and add parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.   Microwave for 30 to 45 seconds to melt, set aside.   (Carol did this on the stovetop)

Cut a deep pocket in each chicken breast, being careful not to cut all the way through.    Take the half stick of butter and slice it into pieces.   Divide evenly and place inside pockets.    Add shredded cheese and secure the opening with toothpicks.  

Set up breading stations.  I use cake pans for this.   In the first, combine flour, garlic powder, onion powder, poultry seasoning and pepper.    Whisk together.   In second, whisk eggs with water.   In third, pour the panko crumbs.

One at a time, coat the chicken with flour, shaking off any excess.   Dip into the egg mixture, let extra drip off.   Move to the panko, flipping and pressing to make a nice thick coating.  Drizzle the herb butter over each piece of chicken.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.   Remove pan from oven and pour wine around the base of the chicken.    Bake an additional 20 to 30 mins.

Move chicken to serving plate and spoon pan juices over the top.   Remove toothpicks and sprinkle with additional parsley, if desired. 

Source: Carol1229, 
adapted from recipe by Ken Harris on foodgeeks- original recipe  found HERE)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites

I'm a huge fan of the Dunkin Donuts Power Breakfast sandwich, so when I started seeing ads for the new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites I stopped in and gave them a try.  They were delicious, but of course, I knew I could make them at home.  I started with the whites of six eggs. You can use pasturized whites if you don't want to do the whole separating, finding a use for the yolks thing.  I beat them up with some salt and pepper. Next up, the tomato and spinach.  I used grape tomatoes, seeded them and then chopped them into 1/4" pieces. I like baby spinach, and I took about 10 leaves and chopped those up into 1/4" pieces as well. I added that to the egg mixture.  When you pour it into the pans, be sure that it all gets evenly distributed.   They bake up pretty quickly, around 9 minutes or so.  Dunkin gives you two egg bites, the mini donut serving size is three. I pop them in ziplocs in the fridge and just pull a bag and reheat them in the microwave for a quick

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon and Cheddar Omelet Bites

Since I already came up with a version of Dunkin Donuts new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites for myself, I decided to make the other variety that they are offering, Bacon & Cheddar, for my husband. Super simple.  Beat up some eggs with salt and pepper.  Add in some shredded cheddar and a slice of bacon cut into 1/4" pieces (I used kitchen shears).  Bake them for about 9 minutes in sprayed mini donut pans. They baked up light and fluffy.  The bacon stayed crisp and there's just the perfect amount of cheese.   I split them up into portions in zip top bags and that way we can just grab a bag and warm them up. My husband laughed when I told him 3 is the serving size.  I'll definitely be doubling the recipe next time! Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon & Cheddar Omelette Bites Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 4 large eggs 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 3T shredded cheddar cheese 1 slice cooked bacon, cut in 1/4" piec

Strawberry Pizzelles

Pizzelles are one of my favorite childhood cookies and I'm constantly looking for ways to put a new spin on them.  Since one of my favorite summer fruits is strawberries, I swapped out the vanilla in the original recipe with strawberry extract.  This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SummerDessertWeek !  I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of my recipes. All opinions are my own. I also added some red food coloring to give it a pink hue, but you can skip that if you like.  I use a cookie scoop to portion out the batter, it keeps all the pizzelles the same size, plus it's quicker than using two spoons.   They're delicious as is but you can take them over the top by fashioning them into a cylinder which we like to call fauxnoli.  You can pipe them full of whipped cream or buttercream.  If you want to prepare everything in advance, store the pizzelle in an airtight container, and the filling in a pastry or zip top bag in the f