Skip to main content

Weeknight Lemon Chicken Skillet Dinner

Needed a nice hearty meal today and the protein of the day was chicken.    This recipe from Cooking Light, looked simple and filling without being heavy.     My ovenproof skillet wasn't incredibly large, and I had a hard time getting nice color on the chicken.    I had to field a phone call and lost track of my potatoes while they were boiling, and they got a little too soft (I used Yukon Gold).   They broke down a lot in the finished dish, but what survived tasted good.   I would definitely give this one another try.



                     
* Exported from MasterCook *

                  Weeknight Lemon Chicken Skillet Dinner

  12            ounces  yukon gold potatoes, halved
  1         tablespoon  olive oil -- divided
  4                     skinless -- (6-ounce) boneless chicken breast halves, pounded to 3/4-inch thickness
     3/4      teaspoon  kosher salt -- divided
     1/2      teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper -- divided
  1t dried thyme
  4             ounces  cremini mushrooms -- quartered (omitted)
  1         teaspoon dried thyme
     1/4           cup  whole milk
  5          teaspoons  all-purpose flour
  1 3/4           cups  unsalted chicken broth
  8               thin  lemon slices- used Meyer lemon
  8 oz sugar snap peas
  2T  dried parsley

Heat oven to 450.   Bring potatoes to a boil in a medium saucepan, simmer 12 mins or until tender.  Drain and set aside.


In a large ovenproof skillet, heat 1t oil on medium high.    Season chicken with salt, pepper and thyme on both sides.    Brown chicken in skillet on both sides, about 5 mins per side.    Move skillet to oven and cook until chicken is done through, about 10 minutes.


Place pan back on medium high heat with 2t oil.    Using tongs, put potatoes cut side down and sprinkle with thyme.     Cook for about 3 to 5 mins, or until browned, making sure they don't stick.   Make a slurry with the milk and flour, whisking to combine well.    To the skillet add salt, pepper, the slurry, chicken broth, lemon and snap peas.     Simmer over low heat until it thickens slightly.   Add the chicken to the pan, and simmer 3 to 5 minutes longer.   Chicken should be warmed through and the snap peas will be crisp/tender.  

Sprinkle with parsley before serving.



Source  "http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/weeknight-lemon-chicken-skillet-dinner"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites

I'm a huge fan of the Dunkin Donuts Power Breakfast sandwich, so when I started seeing ads for the new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites I stopped in and gave them a try.  They were delicious, but of course, I knew I could make them at home.  I started with the whites of six eggs. You can use pasturized whites if you don't want to do the whole separating, finding a use for the yolks thing.  I beat them up with some salt and pepper. Next up, the tomato and spinach.  I used grape tomatoes, seeded them and then chopped them into 1/4" pieces. I like baby spinach, and I took about 10 leaves and chopped those up into 1/4" pieces as well. I added that to the egg mixture.  When you pour it into the pans, be sure that it all gets evenly distributed.   They bake up pretty quickly, around 9 minutes or so.  Dunkin gives you two egg bites, the mini donut serving size is three. I pop them in ziplocs in the fridge and just pull a bag and reheat them in the microwave for a quick

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon and Cheddar Omelet Bites

Since I already came up with a version of Dunkin Donuts new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites for myself, I decided to make the other variety that they are offering, Bacon & Cheddar, for my husband. Super simple.  Beat up some eggs with salt and pepper.  Add in some shredded cheddar and a slice of bacon cut into 1/4" pieces (I used kitchen shears).  Bake them for about 9 minutes in sprayed mini donut pans. They baked up light and fluffy.  The bacon stayed crisp and there's just the perfect amount of cheese.   I split them up into portions in zip top bags and that way we can just grab a bag and warm them up. My husband laughed when I told him 3 is the serving size.  I'll definitely be doubling the recipe next time! Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon & Cheddar Omelette Bites Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 4 large eggs 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 3T shredded cheddar cheese 1 slice cooked bacon, cut in 1/4" piec

Double Layer Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Back in the day I used to bake from home for extra money.  This was one of the most popular items.  Cake mix sizes have changed and if you're using the 15.75 ounce ones bake them in 8" pans. If you want to use the 9" rounds, you can also use this cake mix upsizer to make up the difference between the old and new cake mix sizes.  If the layers are too thin, you'll never be able to flip and stack them without a mess. Be sure to keep track of which pan has the pineapple rings and cherries in it and which doesn't so that you can easily turn them out onto the plate in the right order.    Double Layer Pineapple Upside Down Cake Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 10 ounce jar maraschino cherries, drained 1/2 stick butter 1/2 cup packed brown sugar 8 ounce can pineapple slices 8 ounce can crushed pineapple with juice 1 package yellow cake mix (15.75 ounces) Instructions Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt butter and coat the