Skip to main content

Southern Bird Dogs

We're eating lots of poultry lately, and I've started hearing the grumbling from my family.   With the grill covered with snow and ice again (yay New England!), my options were a little limited.    Staring at the package of chicken tenders in my fridge, I wondered what I could do to them that would be exciting and different.   I had a few hot dog rolls and 4 strips of bacon that needed to be used up.

Enter Southern Bird Dogs.  I saw this recipe on She Wears Many Hats.   She used storebought chicken tenders, but recommended this recipe from Add A Pinch to make them from scratch.    I had everything on hand except the buttermilk.     I used the "add vinegar to regular milk" trick instead.   The only problem is that though that mimics the tang of buttermilk, it doesn't have that nice thick consistency.    My first coating on the chicken seemed thin, so I let them sit for 20 mins, then put them back through the milk and flour mixtures again.    I gave them another 20 minute rest before browning them up.

The recipe doesn't recommend spraying the baking sheet, and I had a teeny bit of stickage.   Next time I'll give it a quick spray.   I tested my chicken with a probe thermometer, looking for a temp of 160º.    

While the chicken was cooking, I buttered the New England style rolls and popped them on my preheated Cuisinart Griddler.    When they were done, I laid out the bacon and closed down the lid.

My kid loved these.   He ate 2.    The chicken strips alone are so good, and over the top doesn't even describe the completely done up Bird dog.    Buttery roll, crispy, well-seasoned chicken, crunchy  bacon, melty cheese and the honey mustard to bring it all home.   

Thank you so much to Amy at She Wears Many Hats and to Robyn at Add A Pinch for the recipes!  These are not the first hits I've had from their blogs, and they won't be the last.


Southern Bird Dogs

4 New England Style Hot dog Rolls
1T softened butter
4 slices Bacon, cooked to crisp
Shredded cheese
Chicken Strips (recipe follows)
Honey mustard dressing (I used Ken's)

Spread rolls with butter and griddle until golden brown.   Crumble half a slice of bacon in bottom of roll, top with Chicken Strip.   Sprinkle with cheese.  Pop under the broiler until the cheese is melted.    Top with honey mustard and crumble the remaining bacon over the top.

Source:   http://shewearsmanyhats.com/the-southern-bird-dog-recipe/


                     
* Exported from MasterCook *

                       Chicken Strips

2 1/4lbs chicken tenderloins
  2               cups  buttermilk (subbed 2T vinegar and enough whole milk to make 2c)
     1/2      teaspoon  Sriracha sauce
  2               cups  flour
     1/2      teaspoon  dried thyme
      1           teaspoon  seasoned salt
     1/2      teaspoon  Penzey's Black and Red seasoning
     1/2           cup  vegetable oil

Heat oven to 375.  

In a bowl, combine milk, vinegar, and sriracha.    Add chicken strips.    In a shallow dish, combine flour, thyme and Penzey's Black and Red seasoning.

Set a cooling rack on a baking sheet.   Dredge chicken pieces in flour, one at a time, making sure they are well coated.    Place on rack.    Let rest for about 20 minutes.   Do a second coating, and let rest another 20 mins.  

Heat oil over medium heat until it just starts to shimmer.    Fry chicken strips 4 or 5 at a time until they are browned, about 3 mins per side.   Move them to a baking sheet coated with a little cooking spray.


Bake for about 12-15 minutes or until the internal temperature is 160º.     Let sit for a few mins before serving.


Source  "http://addapinch.com/cooking/chicken-strips-recipe/"



Comments

  1. What are New England hot dog buns? Wanna try these but want to get it right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're also called split top or top sliced. Ball Park and Pepperidge Farm both make them, but they're most commonly found in New England. That buttered and griddled flavor just puts these over the top! https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/fbac9280-d2a0-4e2e-b326-41c7d7ba53e5_1.771e265ea922da6c3ac8226ddf1bad3c.jpeg

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites

I'm a huge fan of the Dunkin Donuts Power Breakfast sandwich, so when I started seeing ads for the new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites I stopped in and gave them a try.  They were delicious, but of course, I knew I could make them at home.  I started with the whites of six eggs. You can use pasturized whites if you don't want to do the whole separating, finding a use for the yolks thing.  I beat them up with some salt and pepper. Next up, the tomato and spinach.  I used grape tomatoes, seeded them and then chopped them into 1/4" pieces. I like baby spinach, and I took about 10 leaves and chopped those up into 1/4" pieces as well. I added that to the egg mixture.  When you pour it into the pans, be sure that it all gets evenly distributed.   They bake up pretty quickly, around 9 minutes or so.  Dunkin gives you two egg bites, the mini donut serving size is three. I pop them in ziplocs in the fridge and just pull a bag and reheat them in the microwave for a quick

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon and Cheddar Omelet Bites

Since I already came up with a version of Dunkin Donuts new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites for myself, I decided to make the other variety that they are offering, Bacon & Cheddar, for my husband. Super simple.  Beat up some eggs with salt and pepper.  Add in some shredded cheddar and a slice of bacon cut into 1/4" pieces (I used kitchen shears).  Bake them for about 9 minutes in sprayed mini donut pans. They baked up light and fluffy.  The bacon stayed crisp and there's just the perfect amount of cheese.   I split them up into portions in zip top bags and that way we can just grab a bag and warm them up. My husband laughed when I told him 3 is the serving size.  I'll definitely be doubling the recipe next time! Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon & Cheddar Omelette Bites Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 4 large eggs 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 3T shredded cheddar cheese 1 slice cooked bacon, cut in 1/4" piec

Double Layer Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Back in the day I used to bake from home for extra money.  This was one of the most popular items.  Cake mix sizes have changed and if you're using the 15.75 ounce ones bake them in 8" pans. If you want to use the 9" rounds, you can also use this cake mix upsizer to make up the difference between the old and new cake mix sizes.  If the layers are too thin, you'll never be able to flip and stack them without a mess. Be sure to keep track of which pan has the pineapple rings and cherries in it and which doesn't so that you can easily turn them out onto the plate in the right order.    Double Layer Pineapple Upside Down Cake Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 10 ounce jar maraschino cherries, drained 1/2 stick butter 1/2 cup packed brown sugar 8 ounce can pineapple slices 8 ounce can crushed pineapple with juice 1 package yellow cake mix (15.75 ounces) Instructions Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt butter and coat the