Skip to main content

Southwest Stuffed Peppers

I absolutely love this time of year! I've been eating as much fresh, local produce as I can get my hands on, but it's been so crazy hot that I've been avoiding turning my oven on as much as possible.  When I saw this recipe for Southwest Stuffed Peppers on the Taste of Home site that's done via the stove top and the microwave, I jumped on it!

I'm not a big fan of green peppers, but I'll eat orange, red and yellow ones all day, so that's what I used.  The beef mixture comes together really quickly, and it froze great too.  I plan on adding some black beans to the next batch. This was a great main dish meal, and would also make great appetizers if made in the mini/baby bell peppers that are available now.

I hope you're enjoying #FarmersMarketWeek as much as I am!  I'm printing and pinning recipes like crazy.  You can check out what the rest of the #FestiveFoodies are making today by following the links at the bottom of the post.


Southwest Stuffed Peppers


Southwest Stuffed Peppers

ingredients:

  • 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
  • 2/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 3/4 cups chopped seeded tomatoes, divided
  • 4 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups water, divided
  • 4 medium green peppers (I used orange and yellow)
  • 2 tablespoons sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 4 grape tomatoes, halved, optional

instructions:

  1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, red pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
  2. Stir in 1/2 cup tomatoes, chili powder, cornstarch, cumin, oregano and cayenne. Gradually stir in 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, cut green peppers in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Place in an ungreased shallow 3-qt. microwave-safe dish; add remaining water. Cover and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes or until crisp tender. Drain; fill each pepper half with 1/3 cup beef mixture.
  4. Top with the remaining tomatoes. Garnish with sour cream, cheese, green onions and grape tomatoes if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Source: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/southwest-stuffed-peppers
Peppers, Southwest, ground beef
Main Dishes
American
Created using The Recipes Generator

*****************

 

Wednesday #FarmersMarketWeek Recipes



Comments

  1. My husband has been wanting stuffed peppers, but I was lacking the motivation to follow through. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the craving, but kept nixing it due to the heat. So happy I found this recipe!

      Delete
  2. Ooo it's been ages since I've made stuffed peppers, and I'm super excited about your southwest version. I'm sure my husband and I will love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely need to make them more, I forgot how much I love them!

      Delete
  3. What are we going to do when summer is officially over??? I'm not ready for all of the farm-fresh produce to disappear!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm trying to make and freeze things that will help recall summer in my mind when there's two feet of snow out there :)

      Delete
  4. I love the mini idea! So different for an appetizer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I see these happening a lot for football season!

      Delete
  5. These looks so good! The perfect way to use up the peppers in my garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could grow my own, but I'm terrible with plants. Luckily, there are several farms nearby :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites

I'm a huge fan of the Dunkin Donuts Power Breakfast sandwich, so when I started seeing ads for the new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites I stopped in and gave them a try.  They were delicious, but of course, I knew I could make them at home.  I started with the whites of six eggs. You can use pasturized whites if you don't want to do the whole separating, finding a use for the yolks thing.  I beat them up with some salt and pepper. Next up, the tomato and spinach.  I used grape tomatoes, seeded them and then chopped them into 1/4" pieces. I like baby spinach, and I took about 10 leaves and chopped those up into 1/4" pieces as well. I added that to the egg mixture.  When you pour it into the pans, be sure that it all gets evenly distributed.   They bake up pretty quickly, around 9 minutes or so.  Dunkin gives you two egg bites, the mini donut serving size is three. I pop them in ziplocs in the fridge and just pull a bag and reheat them in the microwave for a quick

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon and Cheddar Omelet Bites

Since I already came up with a version of Dunkin Donuts new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites for myself, I decided to make the other variety that they are offering, Bacon & Cheddar, for my husband. Super simple.  Beat up some eggs with salt and pepper.  Add in some shredded cheddar and a slice of bacon cut into 1/4" pieces (I used kitchen shears).  Bake them for about 9 minutes in sprayed mini donut pans. They baked up light and fluffy.  The bacon stayed crisp and there's just the perfect amount of cheese.   I split them up into portions in zip top bags and that way we can just grab a bag and warm them up. My husband laughed when I told him 3 is the serving size.  I'll definitely be doubling the recipe next time! Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon & Cheddar Omelette Bites Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 4 large eggs 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 3T shredded cheddar cheese 1 slice cooked bacon, cut in 1/4" piec

Double Layer Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Back in the day I used to bake from home for extra money.  This was one of the most popular items.  Cake mix sizes have changed and if you're using the 15.75 ounce ones bake them in 8" pans. If you want to use the 9" rounds, you can also use this cake mix upsizer to make up the difference between the old and new cake mix sizes.  If the layers are too thin, you'll never be able to flip and stack them without a mess. Be sure to keep track of which pan has the pineapple rings and cherries in it and which doesn't so that you can easily turn them out onto the plate in the right order.    Double Layer Pineapple Upside Down Cake Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 10 ounce jar maraschino cherries, drained 1/2 stick butter 1/2 cup packed brown sugar 8 ounce can pineapple slices 8 ounce can crushed pineapple with juice 1 package yellow cake mix (15.75 ounces) Instructions Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt butter and coat the