(originally made 10/2010)
I posted last week that I've got a bunch of Macoun apples to use up and
that Jake's new love is the mini muffins he can find the cafe every
morning. This recipe was a great way to kill two birds with one stone
:) My friend Carol sent me a link to this fantastic blog, http://barbarabakes.com/ and
I've been anxiously waiting a block of time when I could knock these
out. This morning was that time. No major changes to the recipe,
and they are equally delicious without being dipped into the cinn sugar
mixture. I made mine as minis in my Pampered Chef mini pan, baked
them for about 11 to 12 mins.
Apple Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking power
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup milk (I used skim)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 small apples, grated
2 tbsp butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a muffin tin with cooking spray or vegetable oil.
2. In a large bowl, beat together sugar and egg until light in color. Add in vegetable oil, milk and vanilla extract.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt
and cinnamon. Add to egg mixture and stir to combine. Stir in grated
4. Divide batter evenly into 12 muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full.
5. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. While muffins are baking, melt butter in a small bowl in the
microwave. In another small bowl, combine remaining sugar and cinnamon.
7. When muffins are done, cool for a few minutes in the muffin pan,
remove from pan and dip muffin top in melted butter, then immediately
dip in cinnamon sugar mixture. Cool on a wire rack.
Makes 12 regular muffins.
Be sure to check out her blog, there is soooo much good stuff on there!