We gave up traveling for Thanksgiving the year I was pregnant with Jake, Tim prefers Stovetop stuffing, jarred gravy and canned cranberry sauce, so basically I can go all out for desserts. I let them each pick (Tiramisu for Tim and pumpkin pie for Jake, reviews to follow) and I wanted chocolate pie.
Mom's chocolate pie consisted of cook n serve pudding poured into a graham crust and then served with cool whip. Carol mentioned she was making a chocolate pie, and told me that it was super easy to put together and that I'd never go back to pudding pie again. She is absolutely right :)
The flavor and consistency of this pie is wonderful, and though I made it in a graham crust this time, I would love it even more in a blind baked pastry crust. As an homage to my mom, I did not put the plastic wrap on the surface, I actually like the "skin" that forms on the top LOL
I had some kahlua sweetened whipped cream left over from the tiramisu that I used on mine, but Jake's got Reddi whip. Thank you Carol!
Chocolate Cream Pie
- 1 (9") baked pie shell (or graham cracker crust)
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/3 c. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 c. milk
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 (1 oz. each) squares unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Sweetened whipped cream
- In a saucepan, blend sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir milk into egg yolks; slowly stir milk mixture into dry ingredients. Add chocolate. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until mixture thickens and boils and chocolate melts (I start with a whisk, then end stirring with a wooden spoon). Boil and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Immediately pour into baked pie shell; press a piece of plastic wrap directly onto hot filling to prevent a skin from forming over the pudding. Chill pie thoroughly before serving. Just before serving, remove plastic wrap from filling; cover pie with sweetened whipped cream.
Created using The Recipes Generator