This recipe was featured on Taste of Home's Facebook page recently, and I'd been waiting for an opportunity to give them a try. The tomatoes from the farm this year are amazing! These are a bit fidgety, and make a lot of dishes.
First you have to mess up 4 bowls and the cutting board. Then the wrestling process of getting them egg washed and breaded without them slipsliding everywhere with the cream cheese inside. Then the frying.
Then the flipping, again without them sliding into two halves. I suppose you could spread the mixture on one side, coat it with crumbs and then fry them face down in the pan. I used dried parsley, and also added a little fresh cracked black pepper to the crumbs. I sprinkled them with a bit of kosher salt and basil after they were fried.
Although they were a bit of work, they were absolutely delicious and I'll definitely be making them again! They'll be a fantastic spin on a BLT. Thank you to Cathy D. for sharing her recipe!
Country Style Tomatoes
- 4 large tomatoes
- 8oz package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley (used dried)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil (used dried, additional at end)
- 1 garlic clove -- minced (used jarred)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk (used whole)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Cut each tomato into four thick slices; place on paper towels to drain. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, parsley, basil, garlic and salt until blended. Spread cream cheese mixture over eight tomato slices; top with remaining tomato slices.
- Place flour and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. In another bowl, whisk egg and milk. Coat the top and bottom of each sandwich with flour, dip into egg mixture, then coat with crumbs.
- In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium-hot heat. Fry tomato sandwiches in batches for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 8 servings.
Main dishes, snacks
Created using The Recipes Generator