Saturday, September 28, 2013

Cranberry Brown Rice Stuffing

(originally 3/2011)

People laugh when I tell them I can't make rice.    I can't.   It is either a soupy mess or crunchy mess.      Then I discovered the Uncle Ben's 90 second microwave pouches and my rice deprivation was over.    :)    Carol posted this amazing looking recipe & review a little while back, and I've been waiting for a day when I had time and a compatible meal planned.    Today was that day!

With the hope that my picky husband might actually give this a try, I made the veggies as small as I could.   I also added some diced yellow pepper.     I had to omit the pecans, I don't keep them in the house since both guys have nut allergies.    Next time I might try sunflower seeds or maybe even pumpkin seeds.    

I served it alongside Chicken Cordon Bleu (Cooking Light) and I ended up only eating half of my chicken and going back for seconds on the rice.   (DH refused to try it once he saw there was veggies in it, sigh)    I love the combination of the nutty brown rice with the savory herbs with the sweetness from the craisins and the orange zest.    I even loved the celery, something I usually pick out of dishes   :)

Go check out Carol's review for a better pic~ I'm fighting a gloomy New England day coupled with energy-efficient-but-not-photography-friendly-lightbulbs  :)   Big thanks to Carol for sharing this delicious recipe!


                     
* Exported from MasterCook *

                      CRANBERRY-BROWN RICE STUFFING


  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  1                 c.  brown rice OR 2 (3.5 oz. each) bags boil-in-bag brown rice -- used 90sec microwave Uncle Ben's pouch
     1/2            c.  dried cranberries -- used cherry flavored craisins
  1               tsp.  dried orange peel -- used fresh orange zest
     1/2            c.  chicken stock
  1              Tbsp.  butter or margarine -- used butter
     1/2            c.  finely chopped celery
  2              Tbsp.  finely chopped shallots (may substitute onion) -- used shallots
  1               tsp.  poultry seasoning
     1/2            c.  toasted chopped pecans -- omitted
     1/4            c.  chopped fresh parsley -- used Penzey's dried
                        Salt and pepper to taste

Prepare rice according to package directions.

In a medium microwave-safe bowl, mix cranberries, orange peel and chicken stock. Microwave on High for 2 minutes; set aside.

Heat a large saucepan over high heat; add butter. Stir in celery, shallots and poultry seasoning; sauté for 3 minutes. Stir in cranberries, orange peel, chicken stock, pecans, rice and salt and pepper to taste; cook over medium heat for 3 minutes more, or until all liquid is absorbed (I add more stock by the tablespoon-just enough to add some moisture if there isn't enough left after steeping the cranberries). Sprinkle with chopped parsley. 8 servings.

Source: TOHBB Carol1229
  "(Source: Walmart Family Cookbook 2006-recipe from River Rice)"

 http://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/t/822674.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment