Crunchy Buttermilk Coconut Chicken Fingers- a little "fussy" but very good!
(originally made 8/3/2008)
I omitted the curry, and I added the other spices to the flour, not to the crumb mixture. Some of the reviews on CL said this had too much garlic powder, but we thought it was fine. I did preheat the sheet as directed, I think that was a big key to getting these very crispy.
* Exported from MasterCook *
Crunchy Buttermilk-Coconut Chicken Fingers
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound skinless -- boneless chicken breasts
1 1/2 cups fat-free buttermilk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
1 large egg -- lightly beaten
1 large egg white -- lightly beaten
3/4 cup crushed cornflakes (had to supplement with about 1/4c breadcrumbs)
3/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut -- chopped
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon curry powder (omitted)
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (used cayenne)
1. Cut chicken into 20 (1/4-inch-thick) strips. Combine chicken and buttermilk in a shallow dish; cover and chill 1 hour. Drain chicken, discarding liquid. Combine chicken and flour in a medium bowl, tossing to coat.
2. Preheat oven to 475°. Place baking sheet in oven.
3. Combine egg and egg white in a small bowl. Combine crushed cornflakes and next 5 ingredients (through ground red pepper) in a shallow dish.
4. Working with 1 chicken strip at a time, dip into egg mixture; dredge in cornflake mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken, egg mixture, and cornflake mixture. Arrange chicken in a single layer on preheated baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Lightly coat chicken with cooking spray. Bake at 475° for 6 minutes or until done. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 5 chicken fingers)
CALORIES 346 (19% from fat); FAT 7.4g (sat 4.8g,mono 1g,poly 0.6g); IRON 4.2mg; CHOLESTEROL 120mg; CALCIUM 139mg; CARBOHYDRATE 33.8g; SODIUM 767mg; PROTEIN 35g; FIBER 1.7g
Cooking Light, APRIL 2008