Ham and Cheddar Stuffed Pretzel Calzones

(originally made  9/2012)

Yeast doughs scare me.   Whenever I have to make one, I usually lean heavily on my bread machine.   I can never seem to get the dough to rise in the time frame given if left on my own.     I flipflopped on making these a few times- should I use a T&T pretzel dough recipe for the bread machine?   Should I make the recipe as stated, but put another into the bread machine as backup?   

I jumped in and just did it.    Worst case, I could run to the store for a ball of pizza dough if I crashed and burned.     I mixed it up, and put it in the oven with the light on and walked way.    To my surprise and delight, an hour and 15 mins later the bowl was full of risen dough.    Tim thought I was nuts, standing in front of the oven, cheering. 

I assembled the calzones as directed by the recipe, and I can't stress enough- do not roll the crust too thin, or overstuff the pockets.     I lost TWO in the baking soda bath, they just disintegrated and I had to scoop out the cheesy meaty melted mess and toss it.   

The guys were made per the recipe, I used the Oscar Mayer Cutting Board ham and shredded cheddar.  I omitted the roasted broccoli.    I also made some with pepperoni and mozzarella.     I used kosher salt because I'm out of pretzel salt, and it was ok, but I'd prefer the pretzel salt next time.      Jake and Tim both gave these a 9 out of 10, and I have to agree.     I'll definitely be putting these on the menu again, and I'd like to test how they reheat after being frozen.

I found the recipe via Pinterest on Tablespoon.com.   Amazing site with tons of recipes, check it out!

http://taste-for-adventure.tablespoon.com/2012/06/07/ham-and-cheddar-stuffed-pretzel-calzones/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Fried Chicken Strips

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

Grilled Potato Skins