Homemade Pretzel Bites

(originally made 5/2011)

A little birdie told me that yesterday was "Eat Whatever You Want" day and I thought on it for a while and decided what I wanted was pretzels.    I've been cleaning out my FoodGawker favorites file, and I've saved about 10 pretzel recipes  :)  I liked this idea because big pretzels seem to be a lot of work for something that disappears so quickly!  

The idea for the minis comes from the Dine & Dish blog, from a recipe that she got from allrecipes.com, which actually is the same as the Soft Giant Pretzels.  I've made this recipe before and I love that the dough is made in the bread machine, especially since I didn't get started on these until 3:45.   There isn't specific instructions on making them bite size, I rolled out my ropes and then used a pastry scraper to cut them into bite size bits.   They will puff a bit in the baking soda/water solution  :)   Mine took almost 15 mins to get to a nice crispy golden brown and then we tossed half with butter/cinnamon sugar and half we brushed with butter and sprinkled with kosher salt   :)  




Soft Giant Pretzels


  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  1       cup plus 2 tablespoons  water -- (70'-80')
  3               cups  all-purpose flour
  3        tablespoons  brown sugar
  1 1/2      teaspoons  active dry yeast
  2             quarts  water
     1/2           cup  baking soda
                        Coarse salt

In bread machine pan, place the first four ingredients in order selected by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons water or flour if needed). When cycle is completed, turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Divide dough into eight balls. Roll each into a 20-in. rope; form into pretzel shape. In a saucepan, bring water and baking soda to a boil. Drop pretzels into boiling water, two at a time; boil for 10-15 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Place pretzels on greased baking sheets. Bake at 425' for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Spritz or lightly brush with water. Sprinkle with salt.

Source:
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Soft-Giant-Pretzels

Yield:
  "8 pretzels"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Fried Chicken Strips

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

Grilled Potato Skins