Honey Pineapple Sweet Potatoes & Fiery Fried Chicken

(originally made 4/2011)

Since Tim was finishing up some chowder we got at the fish market over the weekend, I was able to have whatever I wanted for lunch today.   I'd made the chicken on Saturday and had plenty leftover, so I grabbed my last sweet potato and looked for a side dish.    I got this recipe on the Taste of Home site.  

I've got a new microwave and I'm still learning the ins and outs of it, and it cooked my sweet potato way beyond cubing stage.    So I mashed it up, and used all crushed pineapple.   I had to omit the pecans, I don't keep them in the house with the guys allergy, and it definitely would have given that extra OOMPH to the recipe.    I used honey from my friend's hive in Maine, so good!

Unfortunately, the end product just doesn't look appetizing, but it was delicious  :)  Next time I'll cube up the potatoes and cook them in the oven!

Next up, the Fiery Fried Chicken.   Salsa posted this one back in February, and I had to find some chili garlic sauce--my store only had one brand.    I had thin chicken breast cutlets, so I cut back the cooking time but left all the other ingredients the same.  

I'm a spicy food fan, but I didn't find this fiery at all.   It tasted great, and turned out nice and crisp, but I actually dipped the chicken into more of the chili garlic sauce as I ate it.   I'm not sure if different brands have different levels of heat or not.    I'd definitely add more of the sauce and let it sit in it a while before coating it. 

 Honey-Pineapple Sweet Potatoes


  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  3             pounds  sweet potatoes -- peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
  1                cup  water
  1                can  crushed pineapple -- (8 ounces)
  1                can  pineapple chunks -- (8 ounces) drained- used all crushed
     1/4           cup  honey
     1/2           cup  coarsely chopped pecans -- optional-- omitted

Place sweet potatoes and water in a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover
and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes or until potatoes are tender;
drain.

Drain crushed pineapple, reserving juice. In a large bowl, combine
the crushed pineapple, pineapple chunks and sweet potatoes. Transfer
to a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. In a small
bowl, combine honey and reserved juice; pour over sweet potatoes.

Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10 minutes. Stir; sprinkle with
pecans if desired. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until heated
through.

Yield: 13 servings.

NOTES : http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Honey-Pineapple-Sweet-Potatoes



 


                     
* Exported from MasterCook *

                          Fiery "Fried" Chicken



  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  1         tablespoon  chili-garlic sauce (found in the international aisle of most supermarkets)
  3        tablespoons  pineapple juice
  4            6 ounce  boneless -- skinless chicken breasts
     3/4           cup  bread crumbs
                        Kosher salt
  3        tablespoons  canola oil

Heat oven to 450? F.

In a large bowl, combine the chili-garlic sauce and pineapple juice. Add the chicken and toss to coat.

In a separate bowl, combine the bread crumbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the oil. Working with 1 piece at a time, coat the chicken in the bread crumb mixture and transfer to a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining breasts. Bake until cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes.

CALORIES 310 (38% from fat); FAT 13g (sat 2g); CHOLESTEROL 99mg; CARBOHYDRATE 7g; SODIUM 438mg; PROTEIN 40g; FIBER 0g; SUGARS 2g

Real Simple, AUGUST 2007


NOTES : http://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/p/821118/7013502.aspx#7013502

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Fried Chicken Strips

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

Grilled Potato Skins