Monday, September 30, 2013

Lattice Top Blueberry Pie

(originally made 8/2011)

Tim has been begging me for a blueberry pie for a few weeks, but I've hesitated because I've made some soupy messes in the past.   I put out a call for help on Facebook and got some great responses.    A recipe posted by Swtcakes led me to a very similar Martha Stewart recipe, and that was what I went with.

My gram tried for many years to teach me to make a pie crust.   I just did not have the knack for it.    For this pie, I used a deep dish frozen crust for the bottom and refrigerated crust cut out with a cheater lattice cutter for the top.     For the filling, I kept everything as is, except that I'd frozen my zested/juiced lemons in ice cube trays, so I defrosted one and used that.     I used fat free french vanilla creamer mixed with the egg yolk since it was what I had on hand, and sprinkled turbinado sugar over the top. 

The filling set up beautifully and the crust came out perfect.    Next time I may even get brave enough to try the crust from scratch  :)



 Lattice-Top Blueberry Pie

adapted from Martha Stewart's Pies and Tarts


  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
                        AP flour for dusting
                        Pate Brisee- used frozen/refrigerated
  2                 lb  fresh blueberries -- picked over and rinsed
     1/2           cup  granulated sugar
     1/4           cup  cornstarch
     1/2           tsp  ground cinnamon
  1               tbsp  fresh lemon juice - used zest and juice to equal 1T
  1              large  egg yolk -- for egg wash
  1               tbsp  heavy cream -- for egg wash- used fat free french vanilla creamer
                        Fine sanding sugar -- for sprinkling- used turbinado

1. Preheat oven to 400.  On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 disk of dough to a 13-inch round, about 1/8-inch thick.  Fit dough into a 9-inch pie plate.

2. In a large bowl, toss together berries, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and lemon juice until combined.  Pour mixture into pie plate, piling in center.

3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out remaining disk of dough as in step 1.  To make lattice, cut dough into ten 1-inch-wide strips.  Lightly brush edge of dough in pie plate with water.  Carefully arrange dough strips on top, weaving to form a lattice.  Trim dough to a 1-inch overhang.  Fold edges under as desired and crimp with a fork.  In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and cream for egg wash.  Brush on top of dough strips and edge of pie shell.  Generously sprinkle with sanding sugar.  Refrigerate or freeze pie until firm, about 30 minutes.

4. Transfer pie plate to a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet and bake until crust begins to brown, about 20 minutes.  Reduce heat to 350.  Continue baking until crust is deep golden brown and juices bubble, 55 minutes more.  If crust browns too quickly, tent pie with foil.  Transfer pie to wire rack.  Let cool completely, at least 3 hours before serving.

Makes one 9-inch pie

No comments:

Post a Comment