Green beans are one of the few veggies my guys will eat without complaint so that means we eat them a lot. This is recipe from Taste of Home is one of our favorite ways to have them. I love that it uses ingredients that I always have on hand.
Since neither of them like heat, I hold the crushed red pepper flakes and add them to my portion. My son tops his off with a little drizzle of honey. It's such a simple dish that really lets the freshness of the beans shine through. I've also made them with steam in bag frozen green beans when I can't get fresh ones, and it's still very good.
Thank you so much to Gail O. for sharing her recipe! Do you have an amazing recipe you'd like to submit to Taste of Home? Follow this link and learn how! Want to apply to be a Volunteer Field Editor? Check out the requirements and apply here.
Lemon Garlic Green Beans
- 2 lb. fresh green beans
- Zest of 1 lemon (1 Tbsp.)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper (1/2 to 1)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Blanch green beans in salted water until bright green and tender crisp, about 2 minutes (I steam them). Shock in ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Heat a large skillet; add olive oil and butter and stir until butter melts. Add garlic and red pepper flakes; saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add beans; saute until coated in butter and heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in lemon zest and season with salt and pepper to taste.
green beans, lemon
Side dishes, Vegetables
Created using The Recipes Generator