Sunday, September 15, 2013

Maple Drizzled Apple Muffins

(originally made 2/2010)

Since I made brownies last weekend and have 2 chocolate desserts planned for Sunday, I wanted to make something NON-chocolate to pack in the guys lunches.    I'm very lucky to live in New Hampshire and have access to some of the best sugar houses, and we go each season and stock up on syrup and other goodies.    Apples were not the best at the store this week, but I chose 4 Granny Smiths and hoped for the best.

The drizzle at the end makes these muffins.  I'm a huge fan of maple cream, maple sugar candy and that's exactly what it tastes like.   So good.    The actual muffin itself is good, but I would cut back the cinnamon next time, I use Penzey's and it was very strong and competed with the taste of the maple syrup.   I don't think "pancake syrup" would work as well in this recipe, unless you bump it up with some maple extract. 

Due to nut allergies in the household I omitted the pecans, but if I had been able to use them, I would have gone for crushed and sprinkled on the top rather than one whole one.  

A note on the apples:  it says chopped, and that's pretty vague.  I think it needs to be gauged on the type of apple how small you go.   My apples were very firm and I cut them into small dice.   99% cooked all the way through, a couple of the bigger pieces didn't.  

I would definitely make these again during apple season, with my all time favorite apple, the honeycrisp! 



* Exported from MasterCook *

                       Maple Drizzled apple muffins

  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  1 1/3           cups  all-purpose flour
  1                cup  quick-cooking oats
     2/3           cup  sugar
  1         tablespoon  baking powder
  1 1/2      teaspoons  ground cinnamon
     1/2           cup  milk -- used skim
     1/3           cup  butter -- melted
     1/4           cup  maple syrup
  1                     egg -- lightly beaten
  2               cups  apples -- chopped peeled
  12                    pecan halves -- (omitted)
     1/3           cup  confectioner's sugar
  2        tablespoons  maple syrup


In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon. In a small bowl, mix milk, butter, syrup and egg; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apples.
Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Top each with a pecan half. Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
For glaze, mix confectioners' sugar and syrup; drizzle over muffins. Yield: 1 dozen.

Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 237 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 163 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.

Source:    http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Maple-Drizzled-Apple-Muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment