Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Maple Glazed Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato Jam Sandwich~ the ultimate BLT!

(originally made 8/2011)

Surfing the blogs one day I saw someone had visited a restaurant and had an upscale BLT- maple glazed bacon, avocado, tomato Jam, greens on a hearty bread.     I had copied Mark Bittman's Tomato Jam to try and a quick search found a Maple glazed bacon recipe here- http://www.countryliving.com/recipefinder/maple-glazed-bacon-3729    

I made the jam last night, mine took about 45 mins longer than the recipe stated, but I had very juicy tomatoes.  I didn't seed the jalapeno.   I subbed coriander for the cumin because I was out and I'm not a huge fan.    I tried a spoonful and loved the result.   Sweet, tomato-ey with a little bit of heat. 

We're in the midst of hurricane prep here on the East Coast and the only hearty bread I could find was a marble rye.   It was way too big for my toaster, so before I made the bacon I tossed the bread on to brown on both sides.       I used center cut bacon, real NH maple syrup.   I confess, I eyeballed measurements, and I upped the dijon a little because I wanted more of the sharp taste rather than sweet.
The finished sandwich was fantastic.    I apologize for the pic quality, but I just couldn't wait to dig in!






 Tomato Jam- Mark Bittman



  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  1 1/2         pounds  good ripe tomatoes (roma are best) -- cored and coarsely chopped
  1                cup  sugar
  2        tablespoons  freshly squeezed lime juice
  1         tablespoon  fresh grated or minced ginger
  1           teaspoon  ground cumin -- used coriander
     1/4      teaspoon  ground cinnamon
     1/8      teaspoon  ground cloves
  1           teaspoon  salt
  1                     jalapeƱo or other peppers -- stemmed, seeded and minced, or red pepper flakes or cayenne to taste.

1. Combine all ingredients in a heavy medium saucepan, Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often.

2. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture has consistency of thick jam, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, then cool and refrigerate until ready to use; this will keep at least a week.

Yield: About 1 pint.


Source:
  "http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/20/dining/201mrex.html?pagewanted=print"

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Jolene. It looks wonderful * I will pick up some tomatoes today. What a nice gift this would make *

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Janie! I'm just about out of last year's, I definitely need to make up some more :)

      Delete