Monday, September 30, 2013

Orange Infused Grilled Green Beans

(originally made 8/2012)

Really been enjoying weekly trips to the farm stand this summer.     Yesterday I was making a quick lunch of NancyNJ's Kielbasa Maple Bites and Jasmine rice, and I wanted a veggie to go with.   Since I'd be out at the grill, I didn't want to be running the oven inside too, so I modified this recipe from Eating Well-  http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/orange_infused_roasted_green_beans_red_peppers.html

I prepped the beans and put them into a foil 13x9 pan.   I drizzled in some olive oil, the zest, and salt.   Because the guys won't eat peppers, I tried to use some of the dried Penzey's red&green bell pepper flakes instead.   Covered the top of the pan with foil and gave it a shake every minute or so, grilling them on med-high heat.     I added the crushed red pepper flakes to mine on my plate.

The result?   Good, but not awesome.   The orange smell was much stronger than the orange taste.   Next time I would add the juice from the orange along with the zest.      While the beans were done through, they lacked that pretty green color you get from boiling them.    The texture was just how I like them, crisp/tender.  The bell pepper flakes burned rather than rehydrating.   Next time I'd soak them in some of the oil or water before tossing them with the beans.




             Orange Infused Grilled Green Beans

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  1              pound  green beans, ends trimmed
 pinch Penzey's Red and Green bell pepper flakes
  1         tablespoon  extra-virgin olive oil
                        Zest of 1 orange
     1/2      teaspoon  salt
     1/4      teaspoon  crushed red pepper flakes- I added these at the table

    Heat grill to Med-high heat.   Toss green beans, bell pepper flakes and oil in a large bowl. Add orange zest and salt.    Cover with foil.   Spread on a large baking sheet.   Grill beans until tender, shaking pan occasionally , about 15 minutes.



Adapted from:
EatingWell:  December 2005/January 2006, EatingWell Serves Two"

No comments:

Post a Comment