Monday, September 30, 2013

Coconut Crumbed Bananas

(originally made 6/2012)

Last night was a true experiment.   Jake had asked if we could fry bananas (he watches too much Food Network with me) and I said I'd hunt down a recipe.   I found this one via Foodgawker.    Simple as it gets.   Standard breading technique- flour, egg mixture, panko, fry.    

Overall I liked these.   I cut my banana into chunks and when you got through the crunchy, coconuty exterior, there was the warm creamy banana.    Jake was a fan of the outside- he doesn't really care for bananas once they've gotten past the "firm" stage.   It was a gamble, and I probably wouldn't make them again just for myself.



Coconut Crumbed Bananas


  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
                        About 3 large ripe but firm bananas.
                        Plain flour
  1              large  egg beaten with about a tablespoon of coconut milk
     1/2           cup  breadcrumbs (Japanese Panko is best)-  used panko.
     1/2                dried shredded coconut
                        Canola or Sunflower oil (I only had veg oil)

Mix the breadcrumbs and coconut until combined in a dish and set aside.

Peel and cut the bananas in half and set aside. ( I chunked up the bananas)

Place oil in the pot about 1.5 – 2 inches thick and heat up to  (approx 350F).

Coat the banana halves with the flour, patting off the excess. Then dip it in the egg mixture before dropping it on the crumbs to coat. If you wish to double coat it for extra crunch, dip it back into the egg wash and crumb it again.   (single dipping was fine)

Drop it gently into the hot oil and deep fry, turning it once until it’s golden all over. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Continue with the remaining bananas.

Source:
  "http://www.citrusandcandy.com/2010/11/easy-coconut-ice-cream-with-coconut.html"



No comments:

Post a Comment