Pressed Caprese Sandwiches

(originally made  Aug 21, 2013)

A little while back I bought some fresh mozzarella to make Caprese Pasta Salad.    The leftover I tossed in the freezer in the liquid and promptly forgot about it.     Ran across it yesterday, and since I had some awesome tomatoes from the farm, decided to make a sandwich.

Didn't have any 'good' bread on hand, Jake was in a mood and it was ridiculously hot out, so I used some kaiser rolls.    Worked great.   I like that this one is baked in the oven.  I used my all clad griddle pan and my Pampered Chef Grill Press as the weight.     I used Penzey's dried basil instead of fresh.

I tried to sell it to Jake as 'inside out pizza sandwich' but he wasn't buying it.   Oh well, more for me!  This one comes from Maryanna at the Taste and See Blog   :)



Pressed Caprese Sandwiches 

 













* Exported from MasterCook *


                         Pressed Caprese Sandwich


  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  1                     Ciabatta loaf -- used bulky rolls
                        Olive oil
                        Balsamic Vinegar
  1                     ball of fresh Mozzarella -- sliced into 1/4-inch slices
  2                     tomatoes -- sliced into 1/2-inch thick slices
                        Several basil leaves -- used dried
                        Salt and pepper

Heat oven to 400 degrees.   Cover sheet pan with foil or parchment.   Slice rolls in half.   Brush inside with olive oil and put a light coat on sheet.   

Build sandwich- mozzarella, tomatoes, dried basil, kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper.   Drizzle with balsamic.   Replace roll top, then weigh it down with Pampered Chef Grill Press.     Bake for 15 mins.    Remove Grill press, brush with more oil and then bake 5 more mins.

Let cool about 5 mins before enjoying.  Trust me.   LOL    I sliced mine in half, but if you are using a long loaf this would make great appetizers too.



Source:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Fried Chicken Strips

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

Grilled Potato Skins