Red, White and Blueberry Waffles

(originally made 7/3/2008)
Since it's just Jake and I for dinner, we have breakfast type stuff a lot.    I had about 1 1/2c of storebought blueberries left, so thought I would give this recipe a try.   I garnished ours up with a scoop of light cool whip, then drizzled them with some failed strawberry freezer jam (very tasty as strawberry syrup though!).    I love the hint of orange in these.  I fresh squeezed it from the orange I zested.     I have a 4 square waffle maker and mine made 8 nice waffles.    

I did mess up the recipe, but it seemed to work out ok, I misread the ingrdients as 1/2c each of the milk and oj, and it was actually 1/4c. 

My only complaint?   Lots of dishes for this one.   I hate that whole "beat the egg whites to stiff peaks" business too    LOL     But they are good, and I've got 5 leftover that can be frozen in individual ziplocs and reheated later.     :)



 Blueberry Waffles

  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  1                cup  all-purpose flour
  2        tablespoons  sugar
  1           teaspoon  baking powder
     1/4      teaspoon  salt
  1                     egg yolk
     1/4           cup  fat-free milk -- (I misread, used 1/2c)
     1/4           cup  orange juice -- (I misread, used 1/2c)
  1         tablespoon  butter -- melted
  1           teaspoon  grated orange peel
     1/8      teaspoon  orange extract -- (used vanilla)
  4                     egg whites
  1                cup  fresh blueberries
  1         tablespoon  confectioners' sugar

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolk, milk, orange juice, butter, orange peel and extract; stir into dry ingredients just until combined. In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Fold in blueberries.

Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 4 servings.

Source: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/blueberry-waffles

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Fried Chicken Strips

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

Grilled Potato Skins