Sunday, September 22, 2013

Salted Pretzel Rolls

(originally made 4/2013)

I may have finally conquered my fear of yeast!   I've been wanting to try pretzel rolls for a long time and since we were stuck waiting around for our windshield to be replaced yesterday, I had time to putter around in the kitchen.    This was super simple to throw together in the Kitchenaid, and I let them rise in the oven with the light on.    My only regret is that I've still failed to order pretzel salt.  I used kosher and it was good, but the right salt will put it over the top.    I sliced them, buttered them and grilled them on foil and topped them with juicy burgers and bacon  :) 

This one comes from the My Life as a Mrs blog, be sure to go by and check it out, she has lots of great stuff on there!


 Salted Pretzel Rolls



  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  1 1/2            cup  warm water (110°F)- I clip my candy thermometer to the side of a glass measuring cup
  1            package  active dry yeast (not instant rise yeast)
  2          teaspoons  sugar
  4 1/2           cups  unbleached all-purpose Flour
  2          teaspoons  Kosher salt
  4        tablespoons  unsalted Butter -- melted
     1/4          cups  baking soda
  1              whole  egg -- lightly beaten
                        Pretzel Salt -- for sprinkling

Add the water, yeast, and sugar into the bowl of the Kitchenaid.  Using the dough hook, stir and let rest 5-10 minutes until foamy.

Add the flour, salt, and melted butter.   Mix until combined and it forms a nice ball.   Cover bowl with Glad Press and Seal and let rise in the oven with the light on for 1 hour or until doubled.  Punch down and turn it onto a lightly floured board.

I used a pastry cutter to cut the dough into 8 pieces and weighed them out on a kitchen scale (about 4 1/2 to 5oz ea).     Take each piece and pull the edges around to make a smooth ball.   Set on board and roll to form nice smooth ball in the palm of your hand.   Put on parchment lined sheet.   You can fit all 8 if you alternate them  (3,2,3).     Cover with a towel and let rise another 30 mins.  

Heat oven to 425°.      In a dutch oven, bring 2 quarts of water to a low boil.  Add baking soda slowly, stirring.   Add rolls 2 or 3 at a time into the liquid, starting with the seam side down, about 30 seconds, then flip.    Use a slotted spatula to move them back to the baking sheet.

Brush rolls with beaten egg, getting all of the surface covered, the sprinkle with salt.    Cut slits or an X into the top and bake for 15 to 20 mins.     I did the X and the points rose up and got a little tough, next time I'll do the slits. 



Source:
  "http://www.mylifeasamrs.com/2012/01/salted-pretzel-rolls.html"



No comments:

Post a Comment