Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Tomato Pie

(originally posted 8/2011)

Every summer I patiently wait for "good" tomatoes from the farm.   Not those tasteless rubbery skinned things that you find at the grocery store... bleh.     Jake and I visited on Thursday, and I was so happy to see the huge table lined with gorgeous ripe tomatoes.      I used one here and there to top burgers, made BLTs, but I wanted a recipe to really showcase how great they are.    

I found this recipe in Keith Snow's Harvest Eating, and I happened to have one pie crust so I went with it.   Super simple, if you don't have a tart pan you definitely could just use a baking sheet, fold the edge over and crimp it or flute it.     I don't care for bleu cheese, so I substituted some shredded 3 cheese blend (parm, asiago and romano).    I also used dried rosemary, this would also be great with basil.  

Simple, in season and delicious!    This would be beautiful done as smaller bites too, just cut circles out of the dough with a biscuit cutter. 

Clock is ticking down on summer and I hope to enjoy more tomato recipes before they disappear for another year!




 Tomato Pie

Recipe By: Keith Snow, Harvest Eating.


  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  1             recipe  pie dough
  2              large  heirlooms tomatoes -- sliced
     1/2           cup  cooked apple wood smoked bacon -- in large pieces
  3                tbs  Parmesan cheese -- grated
  2                tbs  extra virgin olive oil -- (2 to 3)
  1                 tb  fresh rosemary--used dried
  2                tbs  blue cheese -- frozen-- used parm/asiago/romano blend
                        kosher salt to taste
                        black pepper to taste

1. Roll out dough and form into the tart pan that has been greased, dock the dough with a fork. Blind bake it  for 10-15 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven until just starting to get golden brown.
2. Lay tomatoes in dough, add chopped rosemary, top with bacon, season with salt and pepper.
3. Shave your blue cheese on then add the Parmesan cheese.
4. Bake for roughly 25 minutes in the same 350 degree oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment