Beef and Beer Chili

(originally made 11/2007)

Was in the mood for chili laast night, and this recipe was in a recent issue of Cooking Light. Since I am the only one who eats it, I can use whatever ingredients I want and also dial up the heat as high as I like it!

It was definitely more liquidy than I would normally like, and it needs the addition of more heat. I used brand new chili powder and it gave it enough flavor, but overall the whole recipe lacked OOMPH!

I don't cook with beer often, DH only buys it once in a blue moon and this bottle had gotten pushed behind the condiments and forgotten :) I could definitely detect the flavor of the beer in this, it wasn't overpowering but it definitely was a "note" in the mix that seemed a little strong.

Overall, I'd give it a 7 out of 10, with definite room for improvement! I split the remainder into serving size containers, will experiment and see how it can be tweaked to my liking.



Beef and Beer Chili


Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 cups chopped red onion (about 1 medium)
1 cup chopped red bell pepper (about 1 small)
8 ounces extralean ground beef
2 garlic cloves -- minced
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 can red kidney beans -- (19-ounce) drained
1 can no-salt-added diced tomatoes -- (14.5-ounce) undrained (I used diced with basil, garlic & oregano)
1 can low-sodium beef broth -- (14-ounce)
1 bottle beer (such as Budweiser) -- (12-ounce)(I used Sam Adams Boston Ale)
1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

Combine first 4 ingredients in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook 5 minutes or until beef is browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in chili powder, cumin, sugar, and salt; cook 1 minute. Add oregano and next 4 ingredients (through beer) to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in cornmeal; cook 5 minutes. Stir in juice.

Yield
4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 261(20% from fat); FAT 5.7g (sat 2.1g,mono 2g,poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 18.3g; CHOLESTEROL 30mg; CALCIUM 74mg; SODIUM 799mg; FIBER 8.3g; IRON 3.7mg; CARBOHYDRATE 30.3g

Cooking Light, SEPTEMBER 2007

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Fried Chicken Strips

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

Grilled Potato Skins