Cocoa and Chili Rubbed Chops

(originally made 2/2013)

For this week's challenge, I stepped way out of my comfort zone.   Pork is one of those eh things for me, it was my only food aversion when I was pregnant and it's taken me a long time to come back from it.    Usually I only eat chops this way.   I'd run across these Cocoa and Chili Rubbed Chops on the GimmeSomeOven blog while doing a search for savory chocolate recipes for the Challenge.    The guys requested the cheese crusted chops last night, so I thought I'd pull my serving aside and give this a shot.

My first mistake was forgetting how dark/strong Penzey's cocoa is.   Next time I would cut it back some, and up the chili powder a little more.    I had thin chops, and they cooked up in a flash, maybe 2 mins per side.   It doesn't really scream chocolate at you, more like a sweet heat.    I don't keep sea salt on hand, used nice big flake kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper.    Very good, and I definitely would try the blogger's suggestion of doing them on the grill when it isn't buried under 2 feet of snow  :)  


Cocoa and Chili Rubbed Chops



2 boneless thin cut pork chops
2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder, Penzeys, use less next time
2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. light brown sugar
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper

Mix together cocoa, chili powder and brown sugar.   Sprinkle and rub a scant teaspoon over both sides of chops, let sit 5 to 10 mins.   Sprinkle with salt and pepper.   Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.    Cook chops 2 to 3 mins per side, depending on thickness .   I did not cover them.  

Source: Adapted from GimmeSomeOven

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Fried Chicken Strips

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

Grilled Potato Skins