Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Gingered Carrots & Parsnips

(originally made 2/2013)

No school yesterday due to the anticipated snow, so I had to rearrange my meal plan for the day.   Panko crusted chicken was an easy choice, but the parsnips I'd planned on putting in stew needed to be repurposed.   When my Healthy Cooking Annuals arrive I always go through and make a list of the recipes I want to try, and I found this on one of those lists  :)

I halved the recipe and had to omit the nuts due to allergies.    Next time I might use some sunflower or pumpkin seeds.   Another possible switch would be fresh grated ginger instead of the dried.    I always buy a chunk and stick it in the freezer and forget I have it.   :)  I also gave mine a quick twist of fresh cracked black pepper.    Simple, healthy and delicious!



 * Exported from MasterCook *

                       Gingered Carrots & Parsnips


  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  3             medium  parsnips -- peeled and sliced (1 large)
  4             medium  carrots -- peeled and sliced  (used baby carrots)
  2        tablespoons  honey
  1           teaspoon  butter
     1/2      teaspoon  ground ginger
  1               Dash  salt
  2        tablespoons  chopped pecans -- toasted (omitted)

Place 1 in. of water in a small saucepan; add parsnips. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 minute. Stir in carrots; cover and simmer 6-8 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
    In the same pan, combine the honey, butter, ginger and salt. Stir in vegetables; heat through. Sprinkle with pecans. Yield: 3 servings.

Nutritional Facts 3/4 cup equals 173 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 121 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.

Originally published as Gingered Carrots & Parsnips in Healthy Cooking October/November 2008, p27

No comments:

Post a Comment