Tim and I are both big fans of calzones, stromboli, pepperoni pizza. I found this recipe on the Taste of Home website and decided to give it a try today. Instead of the frozen bread dough, I made the Soft Garlic Breadstick dough. I'm low on all things flour, so I ended up using 1 1/2c all purpose and 1 1/2c white whole wheat. It turned out ok, a little harder to work with, and I'll go back to the all bread flour next time :)
Tim won't eat chunks of onion so when I browned the ground beef I added 2T of minced dried onion. I used 90% lean beef, and since I had bought a package of the thick sliced pepperoni, I quartered the pieces. I went all mozzarella for the cheese.
Very happy with the final result! I stashed the second one in the freezer unbaked to have another time. Very easy to customize this with veggies or whatever you like.
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough -- thawed
- 2 eggs -- lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound ground beef -- cooked and drained
- 1 package sliced pepperoni -- (3-1/2 ounces)
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese - used 3 cups
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese - Omitted
- 1 small onion -- chopped- used minced dried
- Place each loaf of bread dough in a greased large bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Punch down. Roll each loaf into a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle.
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs, oil and seasonings. Brush over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges; set remaining egg mixture aside. Layer beef, pepperoni, cheeses and onion on dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up, jelly-roll style, beginning with a long side. Seal the edges well.
- Place seam side down on greased baking sheets. Brush with remaining egg mixture. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 2 loaves (8 servings each)
Main Dishes, Snacks, Appetizers
Created using The Recipes Generator