I made a few swaps- I had quick oats instead of old fashioned. I used dark chocolate chips instead of semi sweet. No nuts in our household, so I crushed up Rice Krispies. I also used salted butter because that's what was on hand. Next time I'd use the entire jar of caramel too.
I cut mine into about 28 squares. They are rich and addictive and I'm sending home a dozen with the inlaws to get them out of here!
Oatmeal Caramel Bars
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats- used quick oats
- 1 cup dark brown sugar -- packed
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter -- room temperature- used regular
- 1 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips- used dark chocolate
- 1 cup chopped -- toasted walnuts or pecans- used Rice Krispies
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with vegetable oil spray. With an electric mixer, combine all of the ingredients and mix at low speed until it is crumbly and resembles wet sand. Reserve half of the crumb mixture (about 3 cups) for the topping.]
- Press the remaining crumb mixture in bottom of the prepared pan. Chill the pan for 15-20 minutes. Squeeze the remaining topping with your hand to make large crumbles. Refrigerate the crumble topping until ready to use. Bake the bottom crust for 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine caramel topping and flour; blend well. Remove the partially baked crust from oven; sprinkle with chocolate chips and nuts. Drizzle evenly with the caramel mixture; sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture breaking up any very large pieces as you go.
- Bake an additional 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours or until filling is set. Cut into bars. Keep refrigerated.
Source: "http://www.waitingforgateau.com/bars.html#oatmealcarmelitas" from the cookbook, Waiting for Gateau: No Nonsense Baking from Our Kitchen to Yours
Bar cookies, Desserts,
Created using The Recipes Generator