Thursday, October 24, 2013

Orange Teriyaki Chicken

I knew I was taking a risk with this one, but we eat so much chicken and I'm always looking for a new way to make it.  I saw this recipe on BarbaraBakes, and used it as a jumping off point.    I've got one person that claims to hate vinegar and one that claims to hate soy.     I used the zest and juice of one orange, plus a little bit of orange extract at the end.   I doubled the rest of the ingredients so that I could reserve some for use at the table.     I'm lazy, so I bought chicken tenderloins instead of cubing up the chicken.  

The result- Tim and I loved it.  Jake not so much.   Grilled chicken can still be a challenge with him, and he wasn't having a great day to start with.    We'll be covering up the grill for the winter soon, but I look forward to putting this one into the menu rotation next year.

Huge thanks to Barbara, I've gotten so many winners from her blog, and she is one of the nicest people!    :)   Go to the site and check out her beautiful picture, mine just does not do it justice.



                     
* Exported from MasterCook *

                      Orange Teriyaki Chicken


 2lbs boneless chicken tenderloins
                        Orange Teriyaki Glaze
4       tablespoons  extra-virgin olive oil
  2         tablespoon  ginger -- finely grated
  zest of one orange
  1              clove  garlic -- finely grated or pressed- used jarred minced
     1/2          cup  rice vinegar
  5        tablespoons  soy sauce
  4        tablespoons  sugar
  5        tablespoons  orange marmalade
  juice from one orange
  2         tablespoon  honey
  1/4t red pepper (next time up it a little)
1t Orange extract

Make Glaze.    Heat grill to high and wipe down grates with oil.

Grill chicken on both sides.   Baste with glaze, keeping it moving so that it doesn't burn.   

For the Glaze
Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add ginger, orange zest, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, about two minutes. Add vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, marmalade, orange juice, honey, and red pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and add orange extract.

Blend with stick blender or run through food processor to remove any large chunks of marmalade.    I reserved about 1/2c to pour over chicken/rice at the table and used the rest to baste the chicken.


Adapted from "http://www.barbarabakes.com/2011/06/orange-teriyaki-chicken-kabobs/"


2 comments:

  1. Chicken tenderloins sounds like a great way to go. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the recipe Barbara! I always buy the tenderloins and can never think what to do with them besides bread and bake them. This was perfect :)

    ReplyDelete