Pizzelles

(originally made 3/2013)

Tim and Jake both have issues with eggs, so most eggy dishes are out for us.    I miss French toast and meringue!

Though this recipe is new to me, it’s not new to my family.    My mom makes over 500 of these every December, and until now, I’ve never made them, only eaten them.   Tim bought me my own iron for Christmas, and I’ve been looking forward to trying it out.    I originally doubled the recipe that came with it since Tim can eat a half dozen in a sitting, and then I realized that it was the same as my mom’s recipe EXCEPT that she significantly increased the vanilla.    I tried a few with the lower amount and was unhappy with the taste, so I added the difference.   

The end result?  They were ok, but they were not Mom’s.    Part of the issue is the iron, it seems to produce a thicker pizzelle than what I want.     I like the bigger, thinner pizzelle with the lacy edges.   These were good with some maple honey caramel and I rolled a few to fill with some cream filling that I’d stashed in the freezer.  



* Exported from MasterCook *

                                Pizzelles

  6                     eggs
     1/2         pound  margarine (used Imperial sticks
  1 1/2           cups  sugar
  6        tablespoons  vanilla (used pure, she uses imitation)
  3 1/2           cups  flour
  4          teaspoons  baking powder
                                 
Beat eggs, adding sugar gradually.  Beat until smooth.  Add cooled, melted margarine and vanilla.  Sift flour and baking powder, add to egg mixture.  Mix until smooth.  The batter will be sticky, but can be dropped onto iron by spoonful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Fried Chicken Strips

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

Grilled Potato Skins