Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Spicy Lemon Basil Chicken

I am on a roll this week with new recipes.   Chicken is our most consumed protein, and new ways to cook it are always something I'm searching for.    I found this recipe on the Pick Fresh Foods blog, and even though I couldn't get fresh basil, it was a big winner here tonight.

I dipped the chicken in beaten egg before dredging in the panko mixture.    Obviously dried basil in place of fresh.   My chicken was huge, so I removed the tenders and did them separately.    Still large, I knew that they would burn before the insides were cooked.  I started everything on the stovetop,  browning on both sides, then moved it to a 350º oven for about 15 mins.  An instant read thermometer that I got for Christmas made easy work of checking to make sure they'd reached 160º.   Carryover cooking took it the rest of the way to 165º.

For the sauce I used local honey and Frank's Red Hot along with the lemon juice.   I didn't measure the honey, just eyeballed it, and held back a bit on the hot stuff because too much will send the guys running.

Thank you to Cindy at Pick Fresh Foods, I look forward to checking out her blog and finding even more delicious stuff to make for my family!

 
                     
* Exported from MasterCook *


                        Spicy Lemon Basil Chicken


  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  4                     boneless -- skinless chicken breast
     1/2      teaspoon  salt -- sprinkled on at end
     1/2      teaspoon  black pepper
     1/2           cup  panko bread crumbs
  1               Tbsp  fresh basil -- finely chopped- used Penzey's dried
  1                     garlic clove -- pressed- jarred minced
  3        Tablespoons  olive oil
     1/2           cup  fresh lemon juice
     1/2      teaspoon  Tabasco sauce -- used Frank's
  4        Tablespoons  honey




Prep chicken by removing any fat.  Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large ovenproof skillet.   Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine panko, basil, garlic and pepper in one shallow dish.   Beat an egg in another shallow dish.     Dip chicken in egg, then dredge in panko mixture.   Brown in oil on both sides until golden.  Sprinkle with salt to taste.   Move to the oven and cook approximately 10 to 15 mins, until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.

Mix together lemon, honey and hot sauce.    Drizzle on top of chicken and serve.

Source:
  "http://pickfreshfoods.com/2013/09/14/spicy-lemon-basil-chicken/"

No comments:

Post a Comment