Thursday, September 4, 2014

Caramel Glazed Apple Bread

Summer has wound down, school has been in session here for over a week.   The temperatures are still high, but that is not deterring my craving for fall foods.    For lots of people, it's all about pumpkin everything, but for me, it means apples.   I follow my favorite orchard on Facebook and countdown to opening day and wait patiently for my favorite varieties to be ready.      We made an impromptu stop by there last and came home with a beautiful bag of Jersey Macs.   Most got eaten as is, but there were 3 lonely ones left and I thought I'd bake them into something.

A quick search of my Pinterest boards gave me this one from Pass the Sushi.    Absolutely perfect, I had all the ingredients on hand.     I only made one substitution, omitting the nuts, due to allergies.   Sometimes I replace them with some crushed up Rice Krispies to make up the volume, but this time I let it go.   

My second 8x4 pan seems to have disappeared, so I ended up using one 9x5 and one 8x4.    The 8x4 I tested and pulled at about 35 mins and the 9x5 at about 45 mins.     The smaller loaf was virtually gone before bedtime, just one end on the plate.    I threatened lives if anyone broke into the other loaf before I got pictures and was told, take them fast!   LOL    

This is a great bread and I'll definitely be making it again during apple season and stashing some in the freezer.     Thank you so much to Kita @PasstheSushi for this fantastic recipe!   Be sure to go and check out her blog for more great finds!


                      
* Exported from MasterCook *

                        Caramel Glazed Apple Bread

                        Bread:
  1 1/2           cups  shredded peeled baking apples (used 3 medium Jersey Macs)
  1                cup  packed brown sugar
     1/2           cup  buttermilk
     1/2           cup  vegetable oil
  4                     eggs -- lightly beaten
  3               cups  AP flour
     1/2           cup  chopped pecans (omitted)
  2          teaspoons  baking soda
  2          teaspoons  ground cinnamon
  1           teaspoon  salt
  1           teaspoon  ground nutmeg
                        Glaze:
  2        tablespoons  butter or margarine
     1/4           cup  packed brown sugar
  1         tablespoon  milk
     1/2           cup  powdered sugar -- sifted

Preheat oven to 350 and spray the bottoms only of 2 8x4 pans with cooking spray.   

Shred apples into large bowl and add the brown sugar, buttermilk, eggs and oil.   Stir to combine, but only until the ingredients are moistened- do not overmix!   Pour into prepared pans.   Bake for 45 to 55 mins or until cake tests clean.    Cool about 10 mins before loosening loaf from sides of the pan with a knife.   Remove to rack to cool completely. 

Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat.    Stir in brown sugar.    Stir constantly and bring to a boil.   Continuing stirring on low heat for 2 mins.     Add milk, and return to boiling.     Pull off heat and let cool for about 30 mins.  Slowly stir in powdered sugar until it's smooth and able to drizzle.   Add additional milk in 1/2t increments if needed.    Drizzle over loaves. 

Source: http://passthesushi.com/caramel-glazed-apple-bread



No comments:

Post a Comment