Meals have been a challenge since my son started back to school. I think we've finally gotten into a groove now, going over the school lunch menu and my home menu and making sure there is some variety. This week's menu had been planned, but wasn't quite right when my friend Sue shared she'd be making Cheeseburger Quesadillas for dinner. That was my missing piece!
A few tweaks. I had a little over a pound of ground beef. The guys will not eat real chopped onion, so I used dried and added to the beef while it cooked. The recipe doesn't say to drain off the grease, but I did since mine had a pretty high fat content (85/15). I used real bacon, microwaved til crisp.
When the hamburger mixture was complete, it was a lot. I ended up doing two large quesadillas, and plan on freezing the leftovers for a quick lunch or snack. I did not bake mine in the oven, I heated 2 griddle pans and lightly buttered them. I browned them with a weight on them, and when they were golden, gave them a flip to do the other side.
These were a huge hit here. I served them with some crinkle cut fries and chocolate milkshakes. Thanks to Sue for the inspiration and to Nicole for the recipe!
Here are some other quesadilla recipes you may enjoy:
Jalapeno Popper Quesadillas
BBQ Ranch Chicken Quesadillas
- 1.25 lb. ground beef
- 1 tablespoon minced dried onion
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 c. ketchup (eyeballed, I hate measuring ketchup)
- 4 slices cooked, chopped bacon
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 4 c. sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 large soft flour tortillas
- Butter to coat the pans
- Brown ground beef and dried minced onion in a skillet over medium high heat until no longer pink. Drain grease, and cook for another minute or so. Add the Worcestershire, ketchup, chopped bacon, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Stir and simmer for about 5 mins.
- Heat 2 flat griddle pans or large skillets over medium heat. Melt about a teaspoon of butter in each. Layer tortilla, 1/2c cheese, 1/2 of the ground beef mixture, another 1/2c of cheese, then a tortilla on each pan. Weigh it down (I've got heavy cast iron presses).
- Reduce the heat to medium low and cook until golden brown. Remove weights, spread a little butter on top tortilla and then carefully flip. Cook until the second side is golden brown and all the cheese is melted. Move to a cutting board, slice with a pizza wheel and serve.
Ground beef, Main dishes
Created using The Recipes Generator