Apple Slab 'Pie'

So happy to be getting back into the kitchen a little.  I've been recovering from hand surgery and though I was prepared with frozen and quick fix meals, I was unprepared for how much I'd actually miss cooking.   The guys have done a great job helping out and yesterday I decided they deserved a little treat.

I've accumulated four boxes of puff pastry and had a half dozen Cortland apples, and turnovers were on my mind.    I saw this Apple Slab Pie from Natasha's Kitchen on Pinterest, and it was easy to throw together.    I know my family and took Natasha's advice about doubling it up and making both sheets of puff pastry.   My apples were a bit closer to the edges than hers, so I didn't get as nice of a puff on the pastry, but it is still delicious.   The first one disappeared very, very quickly.     I packed slices in both of the guys lunches today and will be enjoying a piece myself shortly for breakfast.  What? It's fruit, so that = breakfast, right?  I also had a little syrupy apple goodness leftover, and I packed it into a container for later use over ice cream or pancakes.    

Thank you Nastasha! Can't wait to see what other finds I can score on your blog   :)  It is dreary here today, and I'm not handling the camera so well, so be sure to swing by the blog and check out her great pics.







Apple Slab Pie

6 medium Cortlands, peeled, cored, and sliced about 1/3"
1 stick butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp Penzey's ground cinnamon
2 sheets Pepperidge Farm frozen puff pastry, thawed
Flour for dusting the board
1 beaten egg
Raw sugar

Heat oven to 400˚.

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.    Add the sliced apples.   Saute in the butter until light brown, about 7 mins.    Turn the heat down to low, add in brown sugar and cinnamon.    Stirring occasionally, simmer over low heat until the apples are soft and the syrup is thickened, (about 5 to 6 mins).

Dust your rolling surface with flour.    Roll puff pastry sheet gently to approximately 9 1/2 x 10 1/2".  Cut the sheet down the center.    Repeat with other sheet.    Move two halves to a parchment lined sheet pan.  

Add apples in a line down the middle of the puff pastry, leaving a 1" border on all sides.    Pour over a little of the syrup.   Brush the edges of each with egg wash, then top with the remaining two sheets of puff pastry.     Seal the edges with your fingers.   

Cut slits in the top, about 6.   Brush the entire top with egg wash, then sprinkle with raw sugar.    Bake for 15 to 17 mins, or until puffed and golden brown.

Source:  http://natashaskitchen.com/2014/09/30/apple-cinnamon-slab-pie/



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Fried Chicken Strips

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

Grilled Potato Skins