Skip to main content

Apple Zucchini Bread- yay for Fall!

I've been waiting patiently for fall, it's my favorite season.   Apples, hoodies, the beautiful New England foliage, cooler weather for baking.   Finally, it has arrived.   I stopped by the orchard and picked up a gorgeous bag of assorted apples (Gala, Jonamac and Paula Red), and 4 zucchini with the intention of making up some quick bread and tossing a few loaves in the freezer.   I came up with this recipe from Taste of Home.

First off, I had to 86 the nuts.   Both guys are allergic.   A lot of times you can leave them out with no damage, but this was a large amount.  Sometimes I add crushed Rice Krispies to make up the difference.   This time, I decided to add 1 cup of cinnamon chips.  

I always peel my zucchini for baking.   My husband and son used to insist they don't like it.   I've since let Jake in on the secret and he loves watching Dad reach for that 2nd and 3rd piece.   I also let the peeled zucchini sit in a colander for a while to lose any of the excess liquid, then I give it a good press with the back of the spatula before I use it.

This recipe has over 50 reviews, a lot of which said they cut the sugar.  I didn't read the reviews until after I'd put the bread in the oven, which is a rookie mistake.   I don't find the bread to be super overly sweet, but my batter seemed very thin and filled the pans way higher than I usually would.    At 55 minutes, they didn't test done.  or at 65 minutes.  I dropped the temp to 325 for another 5 minutes, and finally, done.

The zucchini disappeared into loaves, which I wanted, but the apple did too.   I'm guessing it was due to variety.    The taste is great, and the guys went through almost a full loaf very quickly.  I'd planned on wrapping and freezing the other two, maybe one will make it.    Thank you so much to Patti D for sharing her recipe!




                     
* Exported from MasterCook *

                           Apple Zucchini Bread


  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  4               cups  all-purpose flour
  1         tablespoon  baking soda
  1                tsp  ground cinnamon
     1/2      teaspoon  ground nutmeg
     1/4      teaspoon  salt
  5                     eggs
  1 1/2           cups  vegetable oil
  2               cups  sugar
  1                cup  packed brown sugar
  1         tablespoon  vanilla extract
  2               cups  shredded peeled zucchini
  1                cup  shredded peeled apples
  1                  c  cinnamon chips
Raw sugar, for sprinkling over the top

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. In another bowl, beat eggs. Add oil, sugars and vanilla. Pour over dry ingredients; mix well. Stir in zucchini, apples and cinnamon chips (batter will be stiff). Spoon into three greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans.  Sprinkle top of loaves with raw sugar.  Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until done. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 3 loaves.


Source:
  "http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/apple-zucchini-bread"


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites

I'm a huge fan of the Dunkin Donuts Power Breakfast sandwich, so when I started seeing ads for the new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites I stopped in and gave them a try.  They were delicious, but of course, I knew I could make them at home.  I started with the whites of six eggs. You can use pasturized whites if you don't want to do the whole separating, finding a use for the yolks thing.  I beat them up with some salt and pepper. Next up, the tomato and spinach.  I used grape tomatoes, seeded them and then chopped them into 1/4" pieces. I like baby spinach, and I took about 10 leaves and chopped those up into 1/4" pieces as well. I added that to the egg mixture.  When you pour it into the pans, be sure that it all gets evenly distributed.   They bake up pretty quickly, around 9 minutes or so.  Dunkin gives you two egg bites, the mini donut serving size is three. I pop them in ziplocs in the fridge and just pull a bag and reheat them in the microwave for a quick

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon and Cheddar Omelet Bites

Since I already came up with a version of Dunkin Donuts new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites for myself, I decided to make the other variety that they are offering, Bacon & Cheddar, for my husband. Super simple.  Beat up some eggs with salt and pepper.  Add in some shredded cheddar and a slice of bacon cut into 1/4" pieces (I used kitchen shears).  Bake them for about 9 minutes in sprayed mini donut pans. They baked up light and fluffy.  The bacon stayed crisp and there's just the perfect amount of cheese.   I split them up into portions in zip top bags and that way we can just grab a bag and warm them up. My husband laughed when I told him 3 is the serving size.  I'll definitely be doubling the recipe next time! Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon & Cheddar Omelette Bites Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 4 large eggs 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 3T shredded cheddar cheese 1 slice cooked bacon, cut in 1/4" piec

Strawberry Pizzelles

Pizzelles are one of my favorite childhood cookies and I'm constantly looking for ways to put a new spin on them.  Since one of my favorite summer fruits is strawberries, I swapped out the vanilla in the original recipe with strawberry extract.  This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SummerDessertWeek !  I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of my recipes. All opinions are my own. I also added some red food coloring to give it a pink hue, but you can skip that if you like.  I use a cookie scoop to portion out the batter, it keeps all the pizzelles the same size, plus it's quicker than using two spoons.   They're delicious as is but you can take them over the top by fashioning them into a cylinder which we like to call fauxnoli.  You can pipe them full of whipped cream or buttercream.  If you want to prepare everything in advance, store the pizzelle in an airtight container, and the filling in a pastry or zip top bag in the f