Apple Cider Pulled Pork

Gotta admit, pulled pork usually isn't my thing.    Tim is a huge fan of it.   I usually save making it for times when my son isn't home and I can toss something else together for myself.  I saw this recipe from I Thee Cook on Pinterest and thought that he'd enjoy it.  I did take some liberties- minced dried onions and jarred garlic.    I started the roast on the stove, and then moved it to the slowcooker.   When I got home from running errands and got a whiff of how amazing the house smelled, my alternate lunch got scrapped! 

Leftovers were even better the next day.   Thank you so much Rina for making a pulled pork convert out of me!   :) 



                     
* Exported from MasterCook *

                         Apple Cider Pulled Pork


  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
     1/2           cup  brown sugar
  1           teaspoon  onion powder
  1         tablespoon  paprika
  1           teaspoon  garlic powder
  1           teaspoon  kosher salt
     1/2      teaspoon  cayenne pepper
     1/2      teaspoon  ground black pepper
                        For the meat:
  1         tablespoon  canola oil
  5             pounds  pork shoulder -- (butt)
  3T           minced dried onion
  2t         jarred minced garlic
  2             medium  granny smith apples -- peeled, cored, and sliced
  2               cups  apple cider
  2        tablespoons  apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce -I used Sweet Baby Rays
                      Bulkie Rolls

Combine brown sugar, onion powder, paprika, garlic powder, kosher salt, cayenne and black pepper in a small bowl.   Rub on all sides of pork. 

Heat oil in a medium skillet.   Place pork in fat side down.   Brown well, and repeat on the other sides.    Place in slow cooker.   Add minced dried onion, garlic, apple slices, cider, cider vinegar and bbq sauce.    Cook on low for 8 hours.    Shred meat with two forks and serve on rolls.

Adapted from  "http://www.itheecook.com/2014/10/apple-cider-pulled-pork.html"

Linked to The Weekend Potluck #197

Comments

  1. What did you do with the leftover sauce in the slowcooker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had ours openfaced the second day and ate them with forks, so I spooned the sauce over the rolls. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Fried Chicken Strips

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

Grilled Potato Skins