Southern Fried Chicken Strips

Sometimes I defrost something with a specific meal in mind, and then the weather completely makes me crave something else.   We had a nice sunny warm stretch of weather here in New Hampshire over the weekend.   It was easy to ignore my menu plan of a heavy, creamy chicken and pasta dish for some crispy, golden brown fried chicken.   

I chose this recipe, and made very minor changes- first, I used Penzey's Roasted Garlic instead of regular garlic powder.   Second, I held the salt out of the flour mixture, I prefer to salt fried foods as they come out of the oil instead.   I also omitted the parmesan cheese, it didn't need it.

I don't fry often, so I'm always glad when the recipe turns out to be worth it.  Using tenderloins made for a quick fry, and the crunchy outside stayed put when you cut them with a fork.    There was just the right amount of seasoning for the guys, though I admit I'd have like to have swapped out the paprika for some cayenne pepper.   I like spicy.   Next time I might even let them rest after the first round of egg/flour mixtures and then dip them again before frying.

Thank you so much to Genise K for the recipe!


                     
* Exported from MasterCook *

                      Southern Fried Chicken Strips


  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  1                     egg
     1/2           cup  buttermilk
  1                cup  all-purpose flour
  1 1/2      teaspoons  garlic powder- Used Penzey's Roasted Garlic
  1 1/2      teaspoons  pepper

     1/2      teaspoon  paprika
  2             pounds  chicken tenderloins
                        Oil for deep-fat frying
    kosher salt
  2        tablespoons  grated Parmesan cheese (omitted)




Whisk together eggs and butter milk in a pie plate or cake pan.   In a second pan, combine flour, roasted garlic, pepper and paprika.   Dip chicken in egg mixture, then into flour mixture.   Place strips in single layer on a baking rack.

Heat oil to 375.   Add chicken a few pieces at a time to the oil.   Fry for 2 to 3 minutes per side, until golden brown and the chicken is cooked through (you can check this with a probe thermometer).   Lay on a paper towel lined platter and sprinkle with salt and cheese (if desired).

Source:
  "http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/southern-fried-chicken-strips"

Shared at The Weekend Potluck #214

Comments

  1. My oh my! These chicken strips are SO inviting...makes my mouth water. I think your photos are great! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Weekend Potluck. Please come again soon. And have a wonderful Easter weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet! Thank you so much for hosting :)

      Delete
  2. The sound amazing. I love the addition and flavor of roasted garlic. Now I want these!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Kim! I can't wait to put these on the menu again :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, and I love that it isba Taste of Home recipe also. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots and lots of my family favorite and go-to recipes are from Taste of Home!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

Grilled Potato Skins