Skip to main content

Southern Fried Chicken Strips

 

Sometimes I defrost something with a specific meal in mind, and then the weather completely makes me crave something else.   We had a nice sunny warm stretch of weather here in New Hampshire over the weekend.   It was easy to ignore my menu plan of a heavy, creamy chicken and pasta dish for some crispy, golden brown fried chicken.

I chose this recipe, and made very minor changes- first, I used Penzey's Roasted Garlic instead of regular garlic powder.   Second, I held the salt out of the flour mixture, I prefer to salt fried foods as they come out of the oil instead.   I also omitted the parmesan cheese, it didn't need it.

I don't fry often, so I'm always glad when the recipe turns out to be worth it.  Using tenderloins made for a quick fry, and the crunchy outside stayed put when you cut them with a fork.    There was just the right amount of seasoning for the guys, though I admit I'd have like to have swapped out the paprika for some cayenne pepper.   I like spicy.  

Next time I might even let them rest after the first round of egg/flour mixtures and then dip them again before frying. Thank you so much to Genise K for the recipe!




Southern Fried Chicken Strips

Author:

ingredients:

  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder, Used Penzey's Roasted Garlic
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (held til end after frying)
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 2 pounds chicken tenderloins
  • Oil for deep-fat frying
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, omitted

instructions:

  1. In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and buttermilk. In a separate shallow bowl, combine the flour, garlic powder, pepper, salt and paprika. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then flour mixture.
  2. In an electric skillet, heat oil to 375°. Fry chicken, a few pieces at a time, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Source: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/southern-fried-chicken-strips
Created using The Recipes Generator



Comments

  1. My oh my! These chicken strips are SO inviting...makes my mouth water. I think your photos are great! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Weekend Potluck. Please come again soon. And have a wonderful Easter weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet! Thank you so much for hosting :)

      Delete
  2. The sound amazing. I love the addition and flavor of roasted garlic. Now I want these!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Kim! I can't wait to put these on the menu again :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, and I love that it isba Taste of Home recipe also. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots and lots of my family favorite and go-to recipes are from Taste of Home!

      Delete
  4. The best thing I have found to do after I fried chicken is to put it on a rack over a pan lined with paper towels. Any excess grease (shouldn't be much) will drip onto the towels and your chicken will stay crisp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great tip! Thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  5. My family and I truly enjoyed these. My 3 year old grandson, who is a picky eater, loved them. They were delicious. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed them! My son was very picky growing up, now he's 16 and just slightly picky :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites

I'm a huge fan of the Dunkin Donuts Power Breakfast sandwich, so when I started seeing ads for the new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites I stopped in and gave them a try.  They were delicious, but of course, I knew I could make them at home.  I started with the whites of six eggs. You can use pasturized whites if you don't want to do the whole separating, finding a use for the yolks thing.  I beat them up with some salt and pepper. Next up, the tomato and spinach.  I used grape tomatoes, seeded them and then chopped them into 1/4" pieces. I like baby spinach, and I took about 10 leaves and chopped those up into 1/4" pieces as well. I added that to the egg mixture.  When you pour it into the pans, be sure that it all gets evenly distributed.   They bake up pretty quickly, around 9 minutes or so.  Dunkin gives you two egg bites, the mini donut serving size is three. I pop them in ziplocs in the fridge and just pull a bag and reheat them in the microwave for a quick

Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon and Cheddar Omelet Bites

Since I already came up with a version of Dunkin Donuts new Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites for myself, I decided to make the other variety that they are offering, Bacon & Cheddar, for my husband. Super simple.  Beat up some eggs with salt and pepper.  Add in some shredded cheddar and a slice of bacon cut into 1/4" pieces (I used kitchen shears).  Bake them for about 9 minutes in sprayed mini donut pans. They baked up light and fluffy.  The bacon stayed crisp and there's just the perfect amount of cheese.   I split them up into portions in zip top bags and that way we can just grab a bag and warm them up. My husband laughed when I told him 3 is the serving size.  I'll definitely be doubling the recipe next time! Copycat Dunkin Donuts Bacon & Cheddar Omelette Bites Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 4 large eggs 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 3T shredded cheddar cheese 1 slice cooked bacon, cut in 1/4" piec

Double Layer Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Back in the day I used to bake from home for extra money.  This was one of the most popular items.  Cake mix sizes have changed and if you're using the 15.75 ounce ones bake them in 8" pans. If you want to use the 9" rounds, you can also use this cake mix upsizer to make up the difference between the old and new cake mix sizes.  If the layers are too thin, you'll never be able to flip and stack them without a mess. Be sure to keep track of which pan has the pineapple rings and cherries in it and which doesn't so that you can easily turn them out onto the plate in the right order.    Double Layer Pineapple Upside Down Cake Print With Image Without Image Author: Jolene's Recipe Journal Ingredients 10 ounce jar maraschino cherries, drained 1/2 stick butter 1/2 cup packed brown sugar 8 ounce can pineapple slices 8 ounce can crushed pineapple with juice 1 package yellow cake mix (15.75 ounces) Instructions Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt butter and coat the