Somehow I've managed to make it into my 40s without ever having a chili dog. I saw this recipe in the June/July 2016 Taste of Home and pinned it to try. I made no changes to the chili itself, but I did forgot to line the insides of the roll with mustard, will have to remember that for next time.
My guys aren't into chili, and I'd considered reducing the recipe, but I'm glad I didn't. I froze the remaining chili in single person portions. Thank you so much to Patricia P. for sharing her recipe. Being honest, this was my first-ever and my second-ever chili dogs- they were so good I had two!
My Favorite Chili Dogs
- 1 pound ground beef (used 85% lean)
- 1 finely chopped small onion
- 1 can tomato puree -- (15 ounces)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (used Sriracha)
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 hot dogs (Oscar Mayer Beef)
- 1 package hot dog buns -- (12 ounces) split - New England style, buttered and grilled
- Finely chopped white onion
- Yellow mustard (omitted by accident)
- In a large saucepan, cook and crumble beef over medium heat until no longer pink, 8-10 minutes; drain. Add next 10 ingredients; simmer until thickened, about 45 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Cook hot dogs according to package directions. Place in buns and top with chili, red onion and yellow mustard.
chili dogs, hot dogs
Beef, Main dishes
Created using The Recipes Generator