When life hands you melons, make salsa! Wait, that's not how it goes. We love watermelon. I buy it, cut it up in chunks. stick it in the fridge and we snack on it. I found this recipe on the Taste of Home site, and it sounded perfect for some holiday weekend snacking.
Change #1- I don't do cilantro. I am in the "tastes like soap" camp. I used parsley instead. The other two changes were minor- yellow bell pepper for the red, and little baby cucumbers that I left the peels on.
Easy, delicious and a wonderful change from traditional salsa, thank you so much to Carolyn B for sharing the recipe!
- 2 cups seeded finely chopped watermelon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peeled cucumber (used baby cucumbers, didn't peel)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper (used yellow)
- 1 jalapeno pepper -- seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro- used dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Baked tortilla chip scoops
- In a large bowl, combine the watermelon, cucumber, onion, peppers and herbs. Drizzle with honey and lime juice; gently toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve with chips.
Other recipes you may enjoy: