Blueberry Waffles with Blueberry Sauce!

It's National Waffle day, and I have a pretty well-documented waffle addiction.    I was challenged to use blueberries as an ingredient, and there's a double dose of them in this recipe.    Unfortunately, we didn't get to pick this year, so I had to go into my freezer stash.    My son helped put these together.    I usually skip the "beating the egg whites" part and toss in the whole egg, but I wanted him to follow the recipe from start to finish.   I'm glad I did.  The waffles were crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.    My only addition was about a teaspoon of butter extract to the batter.   You could use vanilla or maybe even orange extract, I would cut that down to 1/4t so it wouldn't be overpowering.

We're die hard Real NH Maple syrup fans, but this sauce is fantastic.    It would be great over ice cream too  :)  Thank you so much to Devyn W for sharing the recipe!  




                     
* Exported from MasterCook *

                  Blueberry Waffles with Blueberry Sauce

  2               cups  all-purpose flour
  2 1/4      teaspoons  baking powder
     1/2      teaspoon  salt
  1 2/3           cups  milk
1t butter extract (my addition)
  3                     eggs -- separated
     1/4           cup  butter -- melted
     2/3           cup  fresh or frozen blueberries
                        SAUCE:
  1 1/2           cups  fresh or frozen blueberries
     1/2           cup  orange juice -- divided
  3        tablespoons  honey
  1         tablespoon  cornstarch

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk the milk, egg yolks and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in blueberries.

In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.

Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions (see note) until golden brown.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the blueberries, 1/4 cup orange juice and honey. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and remaining orange juice until smooth; gradually stir into berry mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve warm with waffles. Yield: 12 waffles (1-1/3 cups sauce).

Source:
  "http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/blueberry-waffles-with-blueberry-sauce"

Note: I use a Presto Flipside waffle maker, which makes nice thick belgian waffles.  I cooked mine for about 5 minutes, and I got 4 perfect waffles. 

Shared at The Weekend Potluck #237

Comments

  1. These sound so heavenly! Just perfect for breakfast or desert! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They froze and reheated well too! Great idea to use for dessert, maybe with a scoop of good vanilla ice cream or some whipped cream.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Fried Chicken Strips

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

Grilled Potato Skins