Where's the beef? In the crockpot!

This has been one of the hottest summers I can remember.  We've been enjoying long, lazy days by the pool, but then I find myself scrambling to get dinner on the table when we get home.   I decided it was time to put my crockpot to better use, and in my search for recipes, I came across this one.  

I hate having to dirty a pan before putting something into the crockpot, but the smell of the roast browning got me over it quickly.  
My family is anti-vegetable, and I never remember to buy fresh herbs when I shop.  I swapped out the onion, celery and basil for dried versions.   I also subbed crushed red pepper flakes for the pepperoncini.   

We went out for the day, and when we returned, the entire house smelled amazing.   The roast was so tender it fell into shreds with a slight touch.    I served up the meat on kaiser rolls, with chopped red onion, fresh cracked black pepper and mustard.   It looked so good, I didn't even attempt to take pictures, I just dug in.    Huge thanks to Catherine for sharing the recipe!


                     
* Exported from MasterCook *

                             Where's the Beef

  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  1                     boneless beef chuck roast (4 to 5 pounds)
  4          teaspoons  Montreal steak seasoning (Used Taste of Home Steak Chop and Broil Pepper)
  3        tablespoons  butter
  1             medium  onion, chopped-- use 2T dried
  2                     celery ribs, chopped-- used 1T dried
  1              small  carrot -- finely chopped
     1/2           cup  seeded and chopped pepperoncini- used 2t crushed red pepper flakes
     1/2           cup  fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced-- used 1T dried
  4                     garlic cloves -- minced
  2               cups  beef broth- used low sodium
  1 1/2           cups  chili sauce
  1             bottle  beer -- (12 ounces)
  3        tablespoons  reduced-sodium soy sauce
  1         tablespoon  dried rosemary -- crushed
  1                     bay leaf
     1/4      teaspoon  salt (omitted)
     1/4      teaspoon  pepper
                        ASSEMBLY:
  18  mini buns -- split

chopped pepperoncini, sliced red onion, dill pickle slices & stone-ground mustard, optional

Trim roast; sprinkle with steak seasoning. Cut roast in half. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat; brown meat in batches. Transfer meat and drippings to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 7-8 hours or until meat is tender.

Remove roast; cool slightly. Strain cooking juices, discarding vegetables and bay leaf; skim fat. Shred meat with two forks. Return meat and cooking juices to slow cooker; heat through. Using tongs, place meat on bun bottoms. Serve with cooking juices for dipping and toppings as desired. Yield: 18 servings.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Fried Chicken Strips

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

Grilled Potato Skins