For the 6th day of Cookies, I turned to the Simple & Delicious Cookbook to find my recipe, Cherry Kiss Cookies. I'm not normally a fan of red food coloring, but I did use it in these, and they'd look beautiful on a cookie tray.
I like dark chocolate, so I used those in place of the regular Hershey Kisses that were called for. I knew this one would be a hard sell to the guys, they don't really go crazy over anything cherry, but I do. They both loved them, so much so that I had to hide a few so that I could get pictures. Thank you to Joy Y for sharing the recipe!
Cherry Kiss Cookies
- 1 cup butter -- softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract- used vanilla
- 6 drops red food coloring -- optional (I used it)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 54 milk chocolate kisses -- unwrapped (used dark chocolate kisses)
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat butter, confectioners' sugar and salt until blended. Beat in cherry juice, extract and, if desired, food coloring. Gradually beat in flour. Stir in cherries.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Immediately press a chocolate kiss into center of each cookie (cookie will crack around edges). Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Did you make this recipe?
Cherry Kiss Cookies from Jolene's Recipe Journal
Chocolate-Covered Cherry Cookies from Making the Most of Naptime