We are stuck in a snowy, cold weather pattern this month. Lots of shoveling and snowblowing to be done, and nothing helps to warm you back up like soup. I can't recall ever eating tomato soup before, even as a kid (I liked Chicken & Stars). I ran across this one on the Taste of Home site, and it seemed like a great recipe to start with.
Only one minor change to this one- I used dried celery flakes because I have a ton on hand. I made the soup and froze it in single servings. I defrosted it and reheated it on the stove. I liked the consistency and flavor, and you can't beat how fast it goes together. And you've got to have grilled cheese with tomato soup, right? Thank you to Marian B for the recipe!
Satisfying Tomato Soup
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery (used dried, about 1T)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes -- (14-1/2 ounces each) undrained
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook and stir 2-4 minutes or until tender. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool soup slightly and puree in batches in a blender; return to pan and heat through.