Looking for inspiration, I turned to Taste of Home's 100 Family Meals. As you can see by the number of pages I marked, there's lots to be found! There are suggestions for entire meals, complete with a list of groceries you need. It's well categorized for easy mixing and matching too.
The first recipe I chose was Speedy Shepherd's Pie. It's a fun twist on the traditional version, using taco seasoned meat as the base. I use mild seasoning because that's what my family prefers. If you aren't a fan of the prepackaged stuff, Taste of Home has a recipe for homemade that is fantastic. I also used 2 tablespoons of minced dried onion instead of fresh.
This was a risky one where my son is concerned, he's flipflopped on whether or not he likes mashed potatoes several times over the years. Once I told him there was cheese in them, he was in. He gave this a two thumbs up, my husband went back for seconds. Leftovers reheated well the next day. It would be easy to make up the meat mixture and freeze it for a future meal as well. Thank you Sharon T, for sharing your recipe!
Speedy Shepherd's Pie
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion -- chopped- 2T minced dried onion
- 2 garlic cloves -- minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 envelope taco seasoning- used mild
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese -- (8 ounces) divided
- 3 cups leftover or refrigerated mashed potatoes -- warmed, used sour cream and chive flavor
How to cook Speedy Shepherd's Pie
- Preheat broiler. In a large ovenproof skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in water and taco seasoning; heat through. Stir in 1 cup cheese. Remove from heat. (I moved the meat mixture to a casserole dish at this point so it would be easier to store the leftovers)
- In a bowl, mix mashed potatoes and remaining cheese; spread over beef mixture. Broil 4-6 in. from heat 5-6 minutes or until top is golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
ground beef, potatoes,
Dinner, comfort food
Created using The Recipes Generator