Turkey Gnocchi Soup #NationalHomemadeSoupDay

Today is National Homemade Soup Day!  I've been in a bit of a cooking slump lately,  so I turned to the Food Holiday Calendar to help get some new ideas going.   Looking through my T&T recipes, I realized that I don't make much soup.   I did some searching, and I found this recipe on the Taste of Home site.   I had turkey stashed in the freezer from Christmas, and all the other ingredients except the gnocchi on hand.   The gnocchi took me a few weeks and couple stores to find, I'd almost given up on it.  I considered making it from scratch.  If you aren't a fan or can't find it or don't want to make it yourself, I would recommend tortellini as a substitute.    The only change I made to this recipe was to use 6 cups of broth instead of the water/chicken base, because it's what I keep in the pantry.  Thank you to Amy B for sharing her recipe!

(Here's the deal, I'm a real person with a real family who wants to eat dinner, not wait around while I finish a photo session.    This picture was taken at the table, at 5pm on a cloudy day, with a smartphone.    I'd planned to take more pics with better lighting the next day, but there was no soup left.   None.    Even my son had 2 bowls.     For a picture that does it much more justice, go check out the one on the Taste of Home website )




                     
* Exported from MasterCook *

                           Turkey Gnocchi Soup


  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  1         tablespoon  butter
  3             medium  carrots -- chopped
  4                     garlic cloves -- minced
  6               cups  water (used chicken broth)
  3          teaspoons  reduced-sodium chicken base (omitted)
     3/4      teaspoon  Italian seasoning
  1            package  potato gnocchi -- (16 ounces)
  2               cups  cubed cooked turkey breast
  1                cup  frozen peas
     1/2      teaspoon  pepper
     1/2           cup  shredded Parmesan cheese

In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat. Add carrots; cook and stir 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.

Stir in water, chicken base and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil. Add gnocchi. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 3-4 minutes or until gnocchi float. Stir in turkey, peas and pepper; heat through. Top servings with cheese.

Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).


Source:
  "http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/turkey-gnocchi-soup"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Fried Chicken Strips

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

Grilled Potato Skins