My son is a teenager now, big into video games and snapchatting his friends. When he shows any interest in cooking, I jump at the chance to spend some quality time with him. He's been earning tickets at the arcade, with his eye on a Hostess Twinkies Maker. Over the weekend he brought home his prize, and was so excited to try it out.
I had other things going on in the kitchen, so we decided to start simple with a Pillsbury Cinnamon Bun cake mix. He mixed it as the package directed while the Twinkie maker preheated. He gave it a quick mist of cooking spray, and filled the wells 3/4 full using a cookie scoop. They baked in about 6 1/2 minutes, and we got about 24.
The result? Taste great, fun to make, the appliance itself is easy to clean up. You could use a muffin tin, or the super mini loaf pans and bake them in the oven. He's been jotting more ideas for flavors in a notebook, and can't wait to get back into the kitchen and make them.
Cinnamon Apple Twinkies
- Pillsbury Cinnamon Bun Cake Mix plus ingredients to make cake
- 21 ounces apple pie filling
- Caramel ice cream topping
- Preheat Hostess Twinkies Maker.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions
- Spray the Twinkies Maker wells with cooking spray.
- Fill 3/4 of the way with batter (I use a cookie scoop.)
- Bake 5 to 7 minutes or until done. Remove to cooling rack and repeat with remaining batter.
- Puree apple pie filling. Set up piping bag with a round tip, spoon in filling.
- Fill cakes from the bottom in 3 places, being careful not to overfill.
- Drizzle tops with caramel ice cream topping.
Other recipes you may enjoy: