It's Grilled Cheese month! Grilled cheese growing up was Wonder bread and cheese that you had to peel out of it's single wrapper. I was not a fan. Thankfully, the different varieties of cheese sold by the slice is fantastic now. One of my current favorites is a thin sliced sharp cheddar.
When I told my husband that I was looking to add something to a grilled cheese to make it "different", he asked "Didn't I see a bunch of apples in the kitchen?" I've never jumped at the apple and cheese combo in pies, but keeping it savory, and adding bacon started sounding reallly good to me.
Crisp bacon, crunchy tart apple, gooey melty cheddar cheese, perfectly golden sourdough bread. It was still missing something though. Spinning my spice rack around, I rejected bottle after bottle. And at the end, Tarragon. Turned out to be that one final touch it needed.
Looking to up your #GrilledCheese game? Go check out the other amazing ideas at the bottom of the post. Thank you so much to Caroline for hosting!
Apple, Bacon and Cheddar Grilled Cheese
- 4 slice sourdough bread
- 8 slices thin cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp tarragon -- dried
- 1 sm thinly sliced tart apple -- used Granny Smith
- 8 slices cooked bacon
- 2 tbsps softened butter
- Heat skillet to medium high. Sprinkle 2 slices of bread with half of the tarragon. Top each with 2 slices of cheese. Add a layer of apple, overlapping slightly. Put 4 slices of bacon on each. Add another 2 slices of cheese to each, top with remaining tarragon. Place remaining bread on top.
- Reduce heat of pan to medium. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in pan. Butter top slices of sandwiches with remaining tablespoon, getting it all the way to the edges. Cook until the cheese is melted and the sandwich is golden brown.
- *Can also be done quicker in a Panini Press, but will result in a flatter sandwich