When I told my husband that I was looking to add something to a grilled cheese to make it "different", he asked "Didn't I see a bunch of apples in the kitchen?" I've never jumped at the apple and cheese combo in pies, but keeping it savory, and adding bacon started sounding reallly good to me.
Crisp bacon, crunchy tart apple, gooey melty cheddar cheese, perfectly golden sourdough bread. It was still missing something though. Spinning my spice rack around, I rejected bottle after bottle. And at the end, Tarragon. Turned out to be that one final touch it needed.
Looking to up your grilled cheese game? Go check out the other amazing ideas at the bottom of the post. Thank you so much to Caroline for hosting!
* Exported from MasterCook *
Apple, Bacon and Cheddar Grilled Cheese
4 slice sourdough bread
8 slice thin cheddar cheese
1 tsp tarragon -- dried
1 sm thinly sliced tart apple -- used Granny Smith
8 slice cooked bacon
2 tbsps softened butter
Heat skillet to medium high. Sprinkle 2 slices of bread with half of the tarragon. Top each with 2 slices of cheese. Add a layer of apple, overlapping slightly. Put 4 slices of bacon on each. Add another 2 slices of cheese to each, top with remaining tarragon. Place remaining bread on top.
Reduce heat of pan to medium. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in pan. Butter top slices of sandwiches with remaining tablespoon, getting it all the way to the edges. Cook until the cheese is melted and the sandwich is golden brown.
*Can also be done quicker in a Panini Press, but will result in a flatter sandwich
It's the start of Grilled Cheese Month, so we thought we'd give you lots of inspiration! Hosted by Caroline of Caroline's Cooking - see all the delicious grilled cheese ideas being shared today:
- Apple Cheddar Bacon Grilled Cheese by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Apple Gouda Grilled Cheese by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Down the Grilled Cheese Rabbit Hole by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Grilled Cheddar, Onion and Tomato Sandwich by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Italian Inside-Out Grilled Cheese by Palatable Pastime
- Polish Reuben Grilled Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Quadruple Grilled Cheese by Amy's Cooking Adventures
- Roast Beef, Brie and Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese by Family Around the Table
- Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese Sandwich by All that's Jas
- "The Jammin' Jamaican" Chicken Grilled Cheese by Caroline's Cooking
- Tish's Tasty Turkey Grilled Cheese Sliders by Cooking With Carlee