French toast is one of those things that I've made so often, I don't usually look at a recipe. I'm trying to teach my son some basic dishes, good kitchen habits and how to read a recipe, so I searched the Taste of Home site and found this one for Vanilla French Toast.
We did make one minor substitution, which was using whole milk instead of 2%, it's what we always have on hand. We served it with some real NH maple syrup, and next time we'll probably add a bit of cinnamon to the egg mixture. I think he did a pretty good job! Thank you so much to Joe & Bobbi S for sharing the recipe!
Vanilla French Toast
- 4 large eggs -- lightly beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 12 slices day-old sandwich bread
- Maple syrup or cinnamon sugar
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together first five ingredients.
- Preheat a greased griddle over medium heat.
- Dip bread in egg mixture, allowing to soak 30 seconds on each side.
- Cook on griddle until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve with syrup.