The calendar is telling me that it's the first thursday in June (where did May go?) and that means it's time to #FillTheCookieJar! This month's theme is Summer, and I had a bit of a hard time getting into the spirit of things. May was a rainy, rainy month and a few nights we had to put the heat back on. While I was bundled back into my flannel shirt, all I could think about was a roaring campfire, and making S'mores. I found this recipe from Abby M on the Taste of Home website.
I made no changes to the ingredients, but I do have issue with most recipes that use "S'mores" in the title. Melted marshmallows are not the same as toasted marshmallows. For it to really be a S'more to me, it has to have that toasted (sometimes charred) flavor. Instead of microwaving the cookies with the marshmallows on top, I placed them back onto the baking sheet and put them under the broiler until they were toasted. You could also use a kitchen torch.
We totally enjoyed this taste of summer! Thank you so much to Cynthia at Feeding Big for hosting #FillTheCookieJar! Lots of wonderful, summery recipes being shared this month, go check them out by clicking the links at the bottom of the post :)
S'more Sandwich Cookies
Yield: 2 dozen
- 3/4 cup butter -- softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 20 squares)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips -- (12 ounces)
- 24 large marshmallows -- (24 to 28)
How to cook S'more Sandwich Cookies
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Place four cookies bottom side up on a microwave-safe plate; top each with a marshmallow. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 10-15 seconds or until marshmallows begin to puff (do not overcook). Top each with another cookie. Repeat.
- Source "http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/s-more-sandwich-cookies"
Created using The Recipes Generator
S'more Sandwich Cookies by Jolene's Recipe Journal
Pink Lemonade Cookies by Palatable Pastime
Lemon Bars by A Day In The Life on the Farm
Double Strawberry Hazelnut Cookies by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
Red White and Blue Striped Tuiles by That Recipe
Easy Whoopie Pies with Ice Cream by Organized 31
Red, White and Blue Cookies by Cookaholic Wife
Basil Lime Cookies by Join Us, Pull Up a Chair
Orange Drop Cookies by Big Rigs n' Lil' Cookies